Is It Possible to Have a Tummy Tuck After Having a Lower Abdominal Resection?

I recently had a sigmoid/rectal resection with a vertical incision of about 3.5" on my lower abdomen. The stapling caused loose skin to be pushed upward, leaving my belly with unsightly bulging of excess skin around the incision, mostly towards the top. Can this be corrected?

Tummy tuck after low abdomen resection.

+1

Yes it is certainly possible with the following caveat: A physical exam must be done to rule out a hernia to prevent a bowel injury. Skin and incisions have to be examined and health status has to be evaluated. This can go very smooth if all the bases are covered from a medical standpoint.

Tummy tuck after lower excision

+1

Hi, without photographs or physical examination it is tough to say for sure, but it is possible to have a tummy tuck after previous skin resection depending on the residual laxity and skin excess. your best bet is to get examined by a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your options.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Yes, it is possible to have a tummy tuck after you are well-healed from a low anterior resection.

+1

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for an evaluation to make sure that you are a candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty after sigmoid colon surgery

+1

As indicated by others, a photo would be helpful and in-person consultation very important, but I suspect you could have abdominoplasty if you have a significant amount of loose and redundant lower abdominal skin. Of course you need to have the correct reason for wanting surgery, get medical clearance first, and overall be a good candidate for surgery.  Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD

Tummy Tuck after Colon Surgery?

+1

It is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination and a full communication of your concerns/goals. However, generally speaking, it is possible to have tummy tuck surgery done after low abdominal resection surgery. Again, whether or not you are a good candidate for this operation versus a different recommendation will depend on your physical examination.

I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Tummy tuck after colon resection

+1
Additional information would be helpful, such as the reason for the surgery. In terms of health concerns, you must be medically cleared for surgery with blood values within normal limits. You should allow yourself to heal from the surgery before assessing whether to undergo abdominoplasty. If the issue is poor closure technique, then scar revision may be possible but this would be pure speculation in the absence of photos.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Maybe

+1

Without photos it's difficult to say. Seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and let them evaluate you in person.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck after colon surgery??

+1

Without photos and bit more clinical information, any answer will be "incomplete"

Depending on how "recent" your surgery was, you would do well to have patience. If we are talking a few weeks, it is quite likely that by three months there will no longer be a problem.

We don't know the reason for the resection, but any related therapy you may need will have priority over a tummy tuck.

Among other things, tummy tucks are designed to treat excess skin, so if that is the problem, a tummy tuck should give you improvement. If the upper abdomen has no excess skin, a lower abdominal tuck (mini) may be in order. 

When you are recovered, seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon who can review your medical history and examine and advise you.

Good luck and best wishes.