Will I need a tummy tuck after liposuction? (Photo)

I am thinking of getting liposuction done on my stomach after I lose about 20lbs. Will I need a tummy tuck also. I had a vertical c section when I was 18 so I have the scar. I am 23 now and hate my stomach. I don't want a tummy tuck because im still young and might have more kids in the future.

Weight loss is most important before liposuction and tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your decisions to lose weight.  It is important to lose as much weight as possible before you undergo liposuction.  From the amount of skin and fat on your photograph I would recommend weight loss first, liposuction second, and weight 6 months before having your tummy tuck.  To do an extensive liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck increases the chances or complications.  Please find a very experienced board certified plastic surgeon who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Tummy Tuck after Liposuction

+1
You are wise to think about the decision to have a tummy tuck if you are still considering having more children. Liposuction will remove excess fat from your stomach but it will not get rid of any excess skin. In addition, after having children, a tummy tuck also repairs the stomach muscles so that you regain your waistline. Many patients choose to wait until they are close to their ideal weight in addition to waiting until after they have finished having children. The final decision is up to you to decide when you would want to have surgery. 

Mark E. Mason, MD

TT vs LIpo

+1
Thank you for the picture.

In my opinion a tummy tuck in combination with liposuction will be needed in order to achieve the results you're looking for, how ever this will require for you to loose weight so the fat mass will be lower and optimize the results.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Will I need a tummy tuck after liposuction?

+1
         I think that the weight loss followed by surgery is reasonable.

Los Angeles, California.

+1
You need to understand you have excess skin and liposuction will only increase this excess... Best to understand the downside risks better... 

+1
I'm sorry but you are neither a candidate for liposuction or TT due to the high volume of intra-abdominal fat. You would simply be wasting your money. You need to get your BMI well under 30 before the surgery would be worth the cost or the risk. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Liposuction

+1
If you reach your goal weight and are stable for 6 months a proper evaluation will help you decide. Visit the smart beauty guide for more information and a surgeon near you. 

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Family First

+1
Thank you for your pictures.  I think your goal of weight loss is good.  You could have liposuction but I would recommend that you have a tummy tuck  and liposuction after you have completed your family plans.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy tuck not lipo for loose skin

+1
A tummy tuck will remove the scar that you have as well as the excess skin, and liposuction alone may actually look worse. A tummy tuck will not interfere with pregnancy in the future, though it may undo the benefits. Best choice might be to wait until after you have had children.

Richard Baxter, MD

Procedures

+1
I concur with your decision to proceed with your cosmetic surgery after you've reached your goal weight.  Based on your photos alone, you would likely benefit more from a tummy tuck than just liposuction alone.   But a formal physical exam is required to make any recommendations.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon once you've reached your goal weight.  Best wishes

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS