Tummy Tuck After Liposuction?

I am 56 yrs old and having vaser liposuction in a couple of weeks. I am going to have a considerable amount of "leftover" skin. I would like to know if I will be able to have a tummy tuck in about a year, after the lipo, and will my muscles have to be cut to remove the excess skin?

Tummy Tuck After Liposuction?

+1

Thank you for your question. No muscle cutting is required, and a year after will be a great time to have a Tummy Tuck. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Vaser and Tummy Tuck

+1
Really difficult to give an exact opinion here without looking at photos.  This is because most people do not "need" a staged lipo and TT.  If the plan is to knowingly undergo two separate procedures, then the circumstances would be rather unusual. 
As seen from a number of these answers, most surgeons would address this with a single combination procedure. If any revision would be required, it would usually be more lipo, rather than more skin excision.  Although muscles are never "cut", they can be tightened, although is not a requirement in all abdominoplasties.  Best of luck with your choices.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and VASER® Lipo can be performed together

+1

Based upon your desires, I wonder why you don’t do a simple lipo-abdominoplasty in the same procedure? Neither procedure requires the muscles to be cut. A combination lipo-abdominoplasty is what I perform for many of my Cleveland tummy tuck patients.

VASER LipoSelection® abdominoplasty is a procedure that thins the “quilt” of the upper abdominal tissue, after which the skin is raised like a regular tummy tuck, and the excess skin between the belly button and pubis is removed. Then the muscles are tightened with internal sutures (that you can’t feel), meaning we sew them up like a corset. Your muscles don’t need to be cut in order to get them to your pre-baby or pre-weight-loss condition. After the muscles are sutured the tummy “window shade” is closed down to the supra-pubic region and voila! You have a thinner upper abdomen, with a tighter bodice from a tummy tuck and lipo in a single procedure.

If you wish to have that outcome, you don’t have to have VASER LipoSelection® first and then a tummy tuck, as the procedures are easy to do together; I do this all the time at my Cleveland cosmetic plastic surgery practice. If you are a smaller body person and aren’t sure if you need a tummy tuck, then do VASER LipoSelection® first, to see if that’s enough for you.

You should have an in-person consultation about this combo procedure, and of course, I welcome you to my Cleveland plastic surgery practice.

To your health & beauty,

Dr. Paul Vanek

Cleveland Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon

Paul Vanek, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck & liposuction

+1

Great question.  A tummy tuck can most certainly be done after liposuction of the abdomen.  Depending on how much skin and fat tissue you have, the results can vary with just liposuction alone. Something called ultrasound assisted liposuction (VASER) can help tighten the skin after the fat is removed. If there is a lot of excess skin and fat, an abdominoplasty is a more powerful way to get the results you are likely looking for.  Liposuction can be combined with the abdominoplasty to maximize results.  This is something you can easily discuss with your surgeon who has examined your particular body habitus. Good luck!

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

It is not unreasonable to have a tummy tuck after liposuction. Your excess skin that has poor tone will be hanging and can be excised

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck after lipo

+1

Congratulations on your scheduled procedure.  Certainly a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty can be done after liposuction.  A tummy tuck never involves "cutting muscle".  If you are going to have excess skin after the liposuction, it begs the question of why not do the tummy tuck first.  It not only tightens skin (leftover skin) and the layer immediately around the muscle which is the layer contributing most to abdominal wall contour, and it will remove fat as well.  Many people need both, but if you have loose skin and muscle layer you will get a greater bang for your buck with abdominoplasty.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck After Liposuction

+1

The simple answer is, yes, you can have a Tummy Tuck after Liposuction, and, no, your muscles do not have to be cut. The question, however, is why do them separately. A lipo-abdominoplasty with both procedures done at the same time makes much more sense since it is one surgery, one recovery and less expensive.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Lipoabdominoplasty

+1

A lipoabdominoplasty will give you the best result. Liposuction will remove excess fat and help thin this layer so that your new contour from the muscle plication can show through. The last layer which is the skin will then be tightened to give the final result. I do all of this in one stage unless the patient requires greater than 7-8 liters of liposuction. In this situation, I would stage the procedure to give the best result.

Sam M. Sukkar, MD

Tummy Tuck After Liposuction To Remove Excess Skin

+1

You will have no problem having a tummy tuck after liposuction and that will be an excellent approach to getting rid of any loose skin that did not 'disappear' after the fat is removed. Abdominal muscles are never cut during a tummy tuck rather they are tightened by being folded onto themselves. The amount of skin that is removed in a tummy tuck has nothing to do with whether the underlying abdominal muscles are tightened or not.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tummy tuck after lipo

+1

Hard to tell without photos.  However, I have often done tummy tucks inpatients who had previous lipo, usually because they were disappointed with the lipo and especially if it left ripples.  you may be better having the tummy tuck to begin with, but it is a more extensive procedure, more costly, and has a longer recovery.  That's why many women, like you, try the lipo first.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD