What is the Process For Someone Getting a Tummy Tuck After Full Abdominal Hysterectomy ?

I am 38 years old, 5' 2", 155 lbs. I recently had a full abdominal hysterectomy - 27 staples from the belly button down. I also have a very old somewhat concave scar from an appendectomy at age 5 which my belly is already hanging over! I can see that I am going to have some hanging skin after the hysterectomy. What is the procedure for someone getting a tummy tuck after a full abdominal hysterectomy?

Tummy tuck and hysterectomy

+2

The process would involve consultation and selection of a well-trained/experience board-certified plastic surgeon. The abdominoplasty  potentially can be done at the same time as the hysterectomy (if the logistics allow) or at a later date. Previous appendectomy and hysterectomy scars should be removed with the residual transverse abdominoplasty the only scar that remains.

Ideally, you'll be at your “baseline weight”, off any nicotine products, and medically/emotionally prepared for the abdominoplasty procedure. You should also prepare yourself and your support group for a 2 to 4 week recovery period.

I still think my initial sentence is of utmost importance: selection of your surgeon will likely dictate the outcome of your surgery.

Tummy tuck after hysterectomy

+2

Your first priority should be healing after your recent surgery. As you are recuperating, you can start the process for a tummy tuck which would be consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and evaluate your anatomy and scars. This would be the same whether you have had previous surgery or not. You just should wait long enough after your first surgery before undergoing another one and your surgeon will be able to help you evaluate how long you need to wait. Good luck.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after hysterectomy

+2

A formal abdominoplasty will most likely remove the vertical scar and the appendectomy scar based on the description you have provided. The abdominoplasty scar will be at the top of the pubic hairline and extend outward within the garment line for a variable distance based on how much skin is removed.

I would encourage you to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and explain the procedure. You will want to wait at least 3 months to allow for appropriate healing from the hysterectomy. This will give you ample time to learn about and prepare for your abdominoplasty.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after Hysterectomy

+2

I recommend women wait at least six weeks after a hysterectomy to have a fully abdominoplasty or you can have them done together at the hospital, which is a nice way to have one surgery -- one recovery. Don't think that insurance will help pay for any of the cosmetic abdominoplasty because the surgical billing is separated by procedure and time.

Donna Rich, MD

Tummy Tuck for Abdominal Scars

+2

A tummy tuck in most patients removes skin from the belly button down to the pubic bone.  It also allows for correction  of the contour of the abdominal wall and removal of excess fat.  Your appendectomy scar and hysterectomy scar will be removed and the overhannging skin will be removed with a tummy tuck.  Make sure you consult with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to get details of how it can be for you.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Tummy Tucks after Hysterectomy

+2

First, allow yourself enough time to recover from your hysterectomy procedure.  Use this time to research the board-certified plastic surgeons in your area and set-up your consults.  If you have enough lax abdominal tissue-from your description, it sounds like you do-an abdominoplasty should be able to both remove the extra loose skin and tissue and also remove the two scars that concern you so much.  The "trade-off" for this will be a horizontal scar that should be low enough to hide in most clothing and swimwear.  It sounds like you may be a very good candidate for this procedure so start your research soon.  Good Luck!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Post hysterectomy deformity

+2

let yourself heal from your surgery. then I would recommend you seek out a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss the procedure. Usually both of your scars would be removed, depending on the laxity of your skin. The tummy tuck scar would be low down, and therefore hidden in bikini area.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after hysterectomy

+2

Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty usually removes all skin between the belly button(umbilicus) and pubis and repairs the separation of  abdominal muscles that is so common after pregnancy. Almost certainly both of the scars you described would be removed and traded for a much less visible horizontal scar very low in the bikini line. In some cases it is even possible to perform a tummy tuck in combination with the hysterectomy if plastic surgeon and gynecologist can work together.

Stanley G. Poulos, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after hysterectomy

+2

From your description, you would indeed benefit from a tummy tuck and a liposuction to increase the contouring effect of tummy tuck. The depressed appendectomy scar should be removed with the excess skin.  An important question is do you have enough skin above your belly button to allow for a standard tummy tuck which will allow for complete removal of the hysterectomy scar.  A consultation with your local board certified plastic surgeon should give you your answers.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about Tummy Tuck

+2

It is very possible that the vertical hysterectomy scar and appendectomy scar will be removed within the area of extra skin between the pubis and the belly button.  Removal of all the skin between these 2 landmarks is part of a Full abdominoplasty.  Removal of a portion is a Mini abdominoplasty.

A one on one in person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will give you an expert with the training and experience to advise you on what type of abdominoplasty is best for your anatomy, now  that you have had the hysterectomy.  You should probably wait 3 months to allow the swelling and tightness to resolve from this operation before seeking your consultation.

Good Luck!

David N. Hing, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon