How Soon Can I Have a Tummy Tuck After Childbirth?

I gave birth to my son about four months ago. I'm already back on a healthy diet and have started exercising again. I have a lot of excess skin in the abdomen area and wondered how soon might I undergo a tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question. Based on your history and description, you will likely be a good candidate for “mommy makeover” surgery at some point.  Best to wait at least 6 months to one year prior to seeking consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly as well. Make sure that you are aware that this operation is associated with a very significant physical and emotional recovery period. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  For most patients in your situation I also use liposuction surgery as a contouring tool, most often used in the flank areas, mid-epigastric areas and pubic areas. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy tuck after a baby

+1

If you are considering a tummy tuck, I would wait until you have lost the baby weight and your body is back to what it was.  This usually takes about 6 months minimum.

Tummy tuck

+1

Wait several months until you have lost all of the weight during your pregnancy.  Hold off if you are planning another child!

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Tummy Tuck After Delivery

+1

I would wait 3-6 months after your delivery.  To have the best results from a tummy tuck, you ideally want to lose your pregnancy weight.  Once your weight loss has stabilized, then you are OK to proceed.  In addition, make sure you are all done with having kids.  Remember, any future pregnancies can potentially undo all the benefits of a tummy tuck.  Best of luck. 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Timing of tummy tuck after pregnancy and delivery

+1

There is some controversy as to timing of tummy tuck after abdominoplasty. Some surgeons, albeit not many, perform this at the time of c-section. Most prefer to wait until a patient has reached a stable weight for some time which can vary from one surgeon to another in the 4-6 month range. Depending on your examination, I would consider this procedure at this point but it would be best for you to consult with local plastic surgeons regarding their specific advice.

Waiting period for tummy tuck after childbirth

+1

Generally, women should wait three to six months after delivery before they have a tummy tuck. You should also get a release from your OB before having the surgery. 

Also, I am glad to hear that you have started exercising again after delivering your baby. Women who get as close as they can to their ideal weight before having a tummy tuck usually get the best results.

Janet Turkle, MD