Tummy Tuck After Cesarian and Massive Scar Tissue

I am 5'4", and 41 years old. I weight 160, and have had two cesarian births ('99, '01). 3 yrs ago I had a laparoscopy due to severe endometriosis, that caused Enteric Nerve Dysfunction. Is it possible to have a Tummy Tuck, with the Enteric Nerve problems? I have lost down to 130 twice since giving birth, but can never seem to get rid of the hanging skin. The surgeon that did the laparoscopy said that I have massive scar tissue: Is that a problem?

Abdominal scar tissue and prior surgery effecting Tummy Tuick

+1

The scar tissue  to which your laparascopic surgeon is referring is internal scar adhesions around your abdominal organs. The abdominoplasty is performed under the skin and over the muscles so that this scar tissue is not a problem. Only the c-section scar tissue will be addressed and it will be removed.

You can have your tummy tuck

+1

Your scar tissue is related to your endometriosis and isn't even in the area that we work to do a tummy tuck.  Seek a consultation with a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery--good luck!

Carmen Kavali, MD

Scar tissue after laparoscopy is ok for a tummy tuck

+1
Sabrina, your surgeon was most likely referring to internal scarring which will have zero impact on your tummy tuck. Aside from the internal scarring, your situation is very typical of women who seek tummy tuck surgeries Sincerely, Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Scar Tissue Makes It Harder, But Still Possible

+1

Anytime you have excess scar tissue in an area, it can make surgery in thar area more challenging.  However, what I suspect your original surgeon meant was that you have alot of internal scar tissue, or what we call adhesions intra-abdominally.  These are internal and are underneath your abdominal wall.  That should have nothing to do with removing excess skin and some fat from the abdomen, since this is all above the abdominal wall.  I hope this helps

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is an issue not for the internet but an in person opinion. I have many concerns, especially the severe scarring problem. Please seek in person opinions. 

Your Tummy Tuck Should Not be Affected by Internal Scar Tissue

+1

Hi there-

As long as your abdominal wall is not affected, your doctor telling you that you had "massive" scar tissue should not affect the safety or success of a well-executed tummy tuck.

You would not want to proceed with Tummy Tuck until you and your gynecologist are confident that you will not need further surgery for your endometriosis though.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck after caeserian section and scar tissue should be OK

+1

Previous C-section and scarring are common reasons for having a tummy tuck. Because your scarring is internal it shouldn't be affected by the abdominoplasty. it would be a good idea to make sure that the endometriosis issue is stable however.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck After Cesarian and Massive Endometriosis Scar Tissue

+1

Regarding: "Tummy Tuck After Cesarian and Massive Scar Tissue
I am 5'4", and 41 years old. I weight 160, and have had two cesarian births ('99, '01). 3 yrs ago I had a laparoscopy due to severe endometriosis, that caused Enteric Nerve Dysfunction. Is it possible to have a Tummy Tuck, with the Enteric Nerve problems? I have lost down to 130 twice since giving birth, but can never seem to get rid of the hanging skin. The surgeon that did the laparoscopy said that I have massive scar tissue: Is that a problem
?"

A Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty will repair the separated 6 pack Rectus muscles, flatten the tummy removing all loose skin, pooching and overhang, narrow the waist, lift a sagging Mons pubis and may even lift sagging, Cellulite poked thighs and smooth them. It is best to have this operation when you have completed your family and do not anticipate abdominal operations (which would disrupt the muscle repair).

The operation repairs the muscles and any hernias between them but does not enter the abdomen. For this reason, it will not be impacted by any intraabdominal adhesions (scarring).

Communicate with your GYN / General surgeon about your condition to be clearly informed if you could potentially require an abdominal operation in the near future before you decide on having the Tummy Tuck.

Good Luck

Dr. Peter Aldea