Is Tummy Tuck for African-american Women Done Differently?

I have many stretch marks and I am an african american women. How do you decided who to go to for a tummy tuck?

Tummy tuck in African American women

+3

African American skin may heal differently, so incisions should be planned accordingly.  This is the case for every patient in whom poor healing might be suspected, whatever their race.

If patients have healed beautifully from a C-section, they usually heal well from a tummy tuck as well.

However, if they have developed keloid scars in their breasts or adbominal area from prior surgery, it may be wise to plan a shorter scar surgery.

This is especially important if the patient has skin excess on their flank areas, which would normally involve a longer incision onto the flanks.  Every incision has its tradeoff, and in patients with poor healing, care should be taken before desigining very long incision procedures.

Postoperative scar treatment important for tummy tucks in African-American women

+2

I have performed numerous tummy tucks (as well as other cosmetic procedures) on African-American women and do find the incidence of keloid formation very low. The procedure is performed the same. After surgery, I would strongly consider employing silicone gel sheeting over the incisions for several months to help lower the risk for the formation of keloids and hypertrophic scar formation. A skin bleaching agent is also used concurrently to help reduce the extent or risk of hyperpigmentation of these same scars - so they will also be less conspicuous.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

The Ethnic Tummy Tuck

+2

There are several ways to do a tummy tuck, and which will work best for you depends on your specific needs. Since we are all looking for a flatter belly, I do not change the way I do a tummy tuck based on ethnicity.

As most doctors do, I always assume the worst and plan accordingly. Trying to make the shortest scar in the most hidden position possible, just in case we get a hypertrophic scar, is always a good idea. Postoperative care is equally important, and massage and silicone scar treatments can be very helpful.

Stretch marks located centrally and below the belly-button can often be removed with a tummy-tuck, because the skin containing the stretch marks is removed. When selecting a plastic surgeon, be certain they are Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for African American Women in Los Angeles

+1

tummy tuck for African American women is performed with a different emphasis than for other women in Los Angeles. African American women want to emphasize their curves and buttocks therefore when I perform a tummy tuck for African American women I give them more curves with liposculpture of the lower back in order to make the buttocks look more pronounced.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck and Skin of Color( African American)

+1

I have performed many body contouring procedures on men and women of color.  I assess their ability to heal based upon their family history and examining the patient's scars.  My surgical plan is based upon their physique, regardless of their ethnicity.

I take care not to leave stitches on the outside of the skin.  After surgery, I place them on a treatment plan that will reduce the chance of unsightly scars, hypertrophic scars and keloids.

Emily Pollard, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1
The procedure is essentially the same but African American patients are at higher risk for hypertrophic scarring

David L. Abramson, MD

Tummy tuck in african american women

+1

Although there is no difference the technique of suture utilization between different ethnic groups, there are some minor considerations.  African Americans and other ethnic groups with darker skin have a higher possibility of scarring with hypertrophic scars or keloids.  Any persona history or family history of keloids should be discussed with your surgeon prior to the procedure so that you are aware of options to decrease these unintended consequences. 

Regarding you stretch marks, usually stretch marks below your belly button will be removed in a tummy tuck; any that you have above will be lower your abdomen, but will not be removed.

You should pick your surgeon by finding a a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who also has a good local reputation.

Good Luck!

Best of luck

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck in African American Women

+1

You pose 2 different questions. Tummy tucks are performed the same way regardless of the ethnic background of the patient, but  that really depends on what you need.  You should be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if a tummy tuck is the right operation for you.  Strechmarks below the belly button are usually improved with a tummy tuck, but sometimes liposuction is needed as well.  Scarring is an issue for all patients, and care needs to be taked to treat the skin gently.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

African-American Tummy Tuck

+1

There is no difference in techniques for tummy tucks in African-Americans, Asians, or any ethnic group.  The only consideration is that hypertrophic scarring is more commonly seen among certain ethnic groups.  However, an individual's personal history is much more important regarding potential scarring than is the ethnic group to which they belong.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tucks in African American women

+1

The tummy tuck surgery is done the same for women of all ethnic groups.  I do advise patients with darker skin tone that they may have a slightly darker scar and therefore it's important  to use silicone tape and/or gel on their incisions.  This helps lighten and flatten the scars and helps prevent keloids (thick scars).

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD