If I Get a Tummy Tuck Now Will It Affect Later?

im 18, 5'3, 188 pounds, considering getting a tummy tuck. i tried dieting and exercising and no matter how long i do nothing happends. i dont have kids but i would want some when im in my late 20s - early 30s so if i get the tummy tuck now will it be bad for me and/or my kids in the future?

Tummy Tuck and Pregnancy

+1

Generally, tummy tucks will not affect the ability of women to have normal pregnancies in the future. Pregnancy may impact the results of the surgery, and lead to a need for revision surgery. You should also realize that a tummy tuck is not designed for weight loss, and you should be at your long term stable weight before proceeding with surgery. To explore your options, consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons.

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination or viewing pictures. If you do decide to proceed with body contouring surgery, it would be best for you to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to doing so.

Generally speaking, patients are able to have normal pregnancies after tummy tuck surgery.    
Depending on weight gain/loss during pregnancy,  changes in skin elasticity,  genetics etc. revisionary surgery may be necessary after the pregnancy.

When the time is right, I would suggest that you meet with well experienced a board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. 

Should I Get a Tummy Tuck Now

+1

A tummy tuck is not an alternative to weight loss. At your weight and height your BMI is way over thirty and you are not a good candidate for cosmetic surgery. You would have to weigh 160# or less.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy Tuck is better done when you are finished having babies

+1

Without photos, it is difficult to know whether or not a tummy tuck would help you.  While it is possible to have a healthy baby after tummy tuck, it is advisable to wait until you are done with childbearing.  Perhaps you are a candidate for liposuction at this time.  The best way to determine what will work well for you is to see a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery for a personal consultation.  Good luck

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

You are certainly a candidate for a tummy tuck.  Though, I usually recommend that you be at least within 20 lbs of your goal weight prior to having a tummy tuck.  Doing this makes it more likely that you will have the contour improvement that you likely are seeking.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck before kids

+1

You can have a tummy tuck with your current weight that can successfully rejuvenate your abdomen.  With BMI over 30 there may be a slightly higher risk of wound healing complications.   I would plan on postponing pregnancy for  8-10 months after surgery.  The surgery should not affect your ability to have healthy children afterwards. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon