Is a Tummy Tuck Advisable if I Don't Plan to Be Pregnant for at Least 5 Years?

Pregnancy and tummy tuck

+1

Your question is a good one.  

What you have to ask your self is this,  if  you have the surgery now and in 5 years (after a pregnancy)  you grow dissatisfied  with the appearance, would you consider then having another touch up procedure?  

If the answer is no, then I would wait until you are finished having babies.

If it is important for you to look your best now and the potential for needing a post pregnancy revision  doesn't  frighten you, I would go ahead and have the  surgery sooner than later.

Douglas Hargrave, M. D.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Planning pregnancy and a tummy tuck procedure could be challenging

+1

Hello

Thank you for the question.  It can be a little challenging to plan both a pregnancy and a tummy tuck procedure but it can be done.  In the ideal world a tummy tuck would be delayed until no further pregnancies are planned.  However we do not live in an ideal world and there are plenty of women who benefit greatly from a tummy tuck even though they are still planning on having children.  As long as you are okay with the fact that you will likely need a revision tummy tuck after your pregnancy then I see no reason to delay.

All the best

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy Tuck If Plan Pregnancy in 5 Years?

+1

Thank you for the question.  As you know, revisionary surgery may be necessary if you have a  pregnancy after a tummy tuck operation is performed. Whether or not you decide to proceed with the tummy tuck operation at this point becomes a very personal decision after careful consideration of the pros/cons. For some patients, the benefits of undergoing the procedure ( enjoyed for 5 years)  outweighs the potential need for further surgery down the line.

Best wishes during this decision-making process.

Tummy tuck before pregnancy

+1

The most common reason for getting a tummy tuck is to help correct the changes to the abdomen after pregnancy. A pregnancy after a first tummy tuck may cause the same changes to reoccur. If you then choose to have a second tummy tuck after this future pregnancy, you may not be able to get as good of a result having already had a tummy tuck. The second tummy tuck may not be able to keep your scar as low as possible, may require additional scars, and/or may not be able to get as much extra skin off as possible had you not already had a tummy tuck.

I advise patients to wait until they are done having children before having a tummy tuck unless there is a compelling reason to have one sooner. It's a big operation that costs you time and money so why not try to get the most out of it? For the same reasons, why plan to have 2 tummy tucks?

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

+1

It is certainly an acceptable decision, provided you understand that should you have another pregnancy, you may feel afterwards that you need another TT. Getting the benefit of the improvement for five years is a decision you can make when you consider the pros and cons. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.