Does Abdominal Muscle Work After Tummy Tuck?

I've manage to gain some weight back after having a tummy tuck 3 years ago. Relaxed, my abs show a slight bulge now. Are there specific exercises I can do to get my muscles back in shape and tightened again?

Having had a c-section before my plastic surgery, I'm clear that my muscles were not going to work again around my tummy - with the surgery does that change?

Sometimes the muscles can get loose after a tummy tuck

+2

Usually with a tummy tuck the muscles are tightened to correct for changes that happen with pregnancy.  In some people the mucles can loosen over time creating the same bulge that was present before the tummy tuck.  Diet and excercize can help but you should see your surgeon to find out what the cause of the bulge is. 

Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Muscle funciton and exercise after tummy tuck

+1

I would work with a personal trainer who is experienced in core strengthening using a Pilates or Yoga regimen. Your muscles should be capable of functioning.

Tummy tuck and muscle repair

+1

The muscles are usually plicated during a tummy tuck. The muslces should work fine after the tummy tuck.

Abdominal muscle status after tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. As part of the surgery, your surgeon will typically perform a muscle repair where they bring the muscles that have been separated together. This muscle repair will take some time to heal. In our practice, we typically recommend that patients returned to the gym only after 6 to 8 weeks from their surgery. At that time they may begin aerobic exercise and using weights.
Patients can continue to improve the appearance of their tummy tucks by participating in a rigorous exercise regimen and continuing a low-fat and balanced diet.
If you have gained weight after a tummy tuck, meeting with a nutritionist or a personal trainer who can help you design a program that will meet your goals. As you continue to lose weight, you will feel better and your tummy tuck will only look better

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

The muscles are placed back where they should be during a tummy tuck.

+1

Your muscles are sutured back into a normal position during a tummy tuck. This should be a long lasting result. Extensive weight gain and pregnancy could potentially spread the muscles apart again but this weight gain would have to be fairly significant. Definitely try some abdominal strength exercises and some weight loss to see if your body returns to where it was right after your tummy tuck.

David Rankin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal muscles should work better after abdominoplasty.

+1

Hi! This is true whether or not you had a previous C-section. Abdominal crunches and losing a few pounds now should get you your looks back.

The most you might need is a little liposuction of the abdomen. The rectus muscles of your stomach are repaired during a tummy tuck, and they stay repaired even if you put on a few pounds.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)