Tummy Tuck 30 Days, Swelling Below the Incision, Cortal Steroid Didn't Work? (photo)

I have had a tummy tuck 30 days ago. I am very swollen below the incision. Thighs, hips and buns. Tummy has swell but I realize this was expected. I was not so aware the lower then incision area would be so bad. My PS injected me with cortisal steriod a week ago. I have not changed at all. Is it possible they just didn't work for me? I am considering putting on my sauna suit or even sauna compression belt and sweat it out. Is that possible?

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Leg swelling after tummy tuck can be a sign of blood clots and you need to have your surgeon get an ultrasound to rule this out.  He/she also needs to make sure that you don't have a fluid collection called a seroma that could be contributing.  If you don't have either, than the swelling should resolve with time.

Tummy Tuck 30 Days, Swelling Below the Incision, Cortal Steroid Didn't Work?

+1

Very hard to see much swelling in the posted photos. But for peace of mind have your surgeon order a scan or ultrasound to see if residual seroma fluids that need drainage. There is a cost to doing these tests, so be aware. 

Leg Swelling 30 Days Following Tummy Tuck

+1

Leg swelling, particularly unilateral leg swelling, may be a sign of a blood clot in your leg.  Your plastic surgeon would be able to assess this with an exam or order an ultrasound if uncertain.  If this is just generalized swelling, it will eventually resolve.  Be patient.  Do not sweat it out in a sauna.  Not only can this dehydrate you, but that environment is not suitable for a healing wound.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy Tuck 30 Days, Swelling Below the Incision,

+1

Without seeing some comparable views from pre-op, I can't really tell what areas are swollen. If your legs are indeed very much larger than before surgery, your surgeon may want to order an ultrasound to check for clots in the leg veins. 

Thanks for your question. Please consider adding before photos. All the best. 

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

It appears as though your swelling is very uniform and that you are swollen everywhere including your legs. One would really need to see the preoperative photos to judge what the difference is between the  preop and postop condition. One month postop is too early to assess whether the correct amount of skin was removed. It appears that you have a smooth contour and I would venture to guess that this was a correct amount.  Some people simply swell much longer than others. I've had some swell for 4-5 months. Normal swelling resolves about 95% in the first six weeks. It is not unusual to Resolve the remaining 5 to 10% over the next 1 to 2 months. Don't sweat it until about four months out. I think you will be fine.

Thomas McFadden, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon