Tummy Tuck with 26lb 1 Year Old?

Hey my question is, I have a one year old and my husband is currently deployed to afgan. and will only have help the first 2-3 weeks. After that will I be able to care for my son on my own? I do have a 6 year old as well so will i be able to walk her to school after 3 weeks? Its about a mile away.

Healing after tummy tuck

+2

In general most patients are able to do most of their daily needs. But walking a mile might be pushing it. You should be able to drive by then though.

Tummy Tuck with 26lb 1 Year Old?

+2

You cannot safely make that prediction for an individual. Most patients are quite functional at three weeks. As to being able to walk a mile each way twice a day with a stroller, that is a lot to predict. Hopefully you could do it, and have a back up plan if not. 

All the best. 

Tummy Tuck Recovery and childcare

+1

I'm glad to see you are thinking ahead before jumping the gun to proceed with your tummy tuck.   I think its a great idea to have help with your kids for 2-3 weeks given your unique situation.  Most of my patients are able to drive 7-10 days after their tummy tuck.   I don't think its a good idea to walk 1 mile within 3 weeks after your tummy tuck.  That might increase your risk for healing problems or seroma.  Rather, I'd plan to drive your child to school.   In general, you really should plan no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5 weeks.  But you should be able to drive in 7-10 days after surgery.  Walking straight up should be fine also approximately 7-10 days after surgery.   Please talk to your PS about the anticipated recovery.   And plan ahead.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Recovery from tummy tuck

+1

The answer is almost certainly yes if your husband can be there for 3 weeks. Most of my patients are driving the car and back to a sedentary job at 2 weeks. The extra week should be enough for the majority of individuals to be able to walk your their child a short way to school. Every individual is different however and some do take longer than others but those are in the minority. In my experience the 3 week time would be very much to your advantage and work for most tummy tuck patients. Best of luck to you and my best wishes and thanks to your husband!

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Recovery time after an abdominoplasty

+1

More than likely you will be fine with moderate chores and child care at 3 weeks after an abdominoplasty. 

Tummytuck aftercare

+1

Generally I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks after a tummy tuck.  While most women are functioning normally after a few weeks, they do have help to lift their 26lb 1 year olds  and are not pushing a stroller for 2 miles-1 mile each way-  3 weeks after surgery.  I would suggest you put your surgery off until you have help or you have child care for your son.  Otherwise you increase your risk of complications and pain. Good Luck.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon