Should I Get a Tummy Tuck at 22?

I had my son april of 2010 since then i've lost a lot of weight my stomach sags a lot I'm full of stretch marks and when I workout my stomach bloats really bad. Mr doctor said I stretched so much since I have a short torso. Not only has it effected my self esteem but also my sex life with my husband. I'm embarrasses to let him see me with out clothing. My breast have also lost the fullness on top so my nipples show so I have to wear very covered up clothing.

Surgery at 22

+2

You're pretty young to have surgery though I undestand what you are saying about the changes in your body. Maybe your husband doesn't feel the same way. You should talk to him about how you feel. Try to put off the surgery, at least on your tummy,  until you finished having your kids.

Tummy tuck at 22

+1

The bigger issue than your age is whether or not you are planning on having more children.  If you are, you should wait before having a tummy tuck as your results would be compromised by future pregnancy.  A breast augmentation would restore the fullness to the upper part of your breasts.  The combination of these two procedures is often called a Mommy Makeover.  If you are planning to have more children, then I think it would be reasonable to have the breast augmentation now and wait to have the tummy tuck until you are done having kids.  Of course you need to have a frank discussion about these issues with your board certified plastic surgeon.  

Laurence Weider, MD

Tummy tuck at 22,mommy make-over

+1

A tummy tuck is done to remove excess skin, usually as a result of pregancy and/or weight loss. This also affects the breast size, fullness and sag. Both opf these areas can be corrected with what's called a mommy makeover. Ones body can usually be changed quite dramatically, These I perform usually as an outpatient and the recovery is about two to three weeks. Unfortunately, the only weay to remove excess skin is to remove it!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Too young for tummy tuck?

+1

Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and breast augmentation would be an answer to your excess skin on your abdomen and loss of upper pole fullness from your breast. The bigger question is are you planning on having more children in the future. If you area, hold off on surgery for now.

Donna Rich, MD

Timing of a tummy tuck

+1

If you are planning to have more children in the near future you may want to hold off on having a tummy tuck right now. Although you can become pregnant after a tummy tuck, the pregnancy will stretch out your skin and potentially leave you with more loose skin; which could require a second surgery to correct. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what your best surgical options are for now.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Should I Get a Tummy Tuck at 22?

+1

Dear Mellie562,

A tummy tuck and breast lift (aka. Mommy Makeover) are excellent ways to tighten and reshape your body after having kids.

In general, I would suggest waiting until you are finished having children before undergoing these procedures, so that the results are not lost.

If you are having significant concerns about the appearance of your body now, I would suggest discussing your feelings with your husband. In some circumstances, a tummy tuck may be worth considering now, but as mentioned previously it would be best to wait until you are finished having children.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

You should wait until you are done with having kids

+1

Two issues here. Above all else, I would wait until you are done with kids. But second and more worrisome is how this might affect your relationship with your husband, which may be more impacted by how you feel than how you look! As most husbands say to me, they would rather be with a confident woman with a few flaws then with a self-conscious supermodel that dresses in the dark! 

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck at 22

+1
Age is not the issue. The question is whether or not you think you will have another child. If you are certain that is the case, then I think it is okay to proceed with the surgery. Abdominoplasty is a very gratifying operation with excellent and long lasting results. Having a child after an abdominoplasty is not dangerous, it will just ruin the results. If you are not certain about additional children, then it is best to wait.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Age for tummy tuck

+1

In your situation, having had only one child, I would suggest waiting on the  tummy tuck/breast surgery  if at all possible. If you're not planning on having children in the near future then proceeding with the surgery should be considered, given that it will significantly improve your quality of life (based on what you have described). Obviously taking this route may mean that further surgery may be required after you're done with pregnancies.

You will find that in the field of plastic surgery, every patient's  situation is assessed based on their unique circumstances, making it difficult to give generalized advice.

It may benefit you to seek consultation with a well-trained/ethical/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon for advice.

Tummy Tuck at age 22

+1

These are good questions, and nobody can decide for you, as you know.  Cosmetic surgery is always a personal and individualized decision based on your unique situation.  My recommendation, and probably that of most plastic surgeons like my esteemed colleague Dr. Ronald Schuster, is to wait until you are beyond your childbearing years before having abdominoplasty.   Perhaps a minimal procedure to remove some skin is a possibility if you are desperate.  Consult with a plastic surgeon or two near you who can examine both breasts and tummy, discuss possibilities, and arm you with information to consider.  Often, the consultations are free.

Steve Laverson, MD