Is It a Bad Idea to Have a Tummy Tuck in Your 20s?

my ? is! I am only 22 and I dont want to spend the rest of my 20's looking like this. My belly still looks about 5 months pregnant and I have a flap hanging down and I have to buy bigger clothes to accomodate! I seriously dont think I want to actually have more children but its a possibility in the future! Would it be dumb to have a tummy tuck now and what type

Could be too young...

+3

Could be too young, depending on what your future holds.  If there is a chance that you may have more children soon, then you are better off waiting until you are finished with childbearing.  There is no doubt that you would benefit greatly from a full tummy tuck.  If you don't know when you might have more children, you may get many good years out of a tummy tuck done now.  There are no real concerns regarding your ability to have a full term pregnancy after a tummy tuck.  Your tissues will be able to stretch out for a new baby.  Good luck!

Modified tummy-tuck may be great option for a 22 year old

+2

Being in your 20's is not a reason to avoid a tummy-tuck.  There are many great options that might help someone your age that can provide excellent cosmetic improvement without a full tummy-tuck.  For many of my patients in your age group, I will combine SmartLipo laser liposuction with a mini tummy-tuck (sometimes referred to as a Lipo-abdominoplasty)  which does not involve tightening the abdominal muscles.   This procedure provides excellent improvement without the higher cost and downtime of a traditional abdominoplasty.   Body sculpting with  SmartLipo Triplex provides excellent fat removal and better skin-tightening than traditional liposuction,  and if you have too much loose skin for SmartLipo Triplex alone, the modified tummy-tuck can provide the additional skin tightening with a shorter incision, quicker recovery, and may be a good alternative for you at this time. This is an out-patient procedure that can be done under local anesthesia, and would not preclude you from having additional body-contouring in the future should you decide to have more children.  I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in laser liposuction and body-contouring.  Your result will be highly dependent on the qualifications of your plastic surgeon.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck in a 20-something year old?

+1

IF you have no immediate plans in the next 10 years to have children, a tummy tuck is an option. Based on the fullnes above your umbilicus, it is my impression that you will require a full tummy tuck. OF course, a surgeon could determine the best procedure for you after performing a history and physical examination and reviewing your goals and options.

For Best and Lasting Results, it is always Best to have a Tummy Tuck when you hace completed your Family

+1

A Full Tummy Tuck with Liposuction of the back and flanks would greatly improve your figure and would give you a flat tummy with a narrow waist. However, a subsequent pregnancy would easily reverse all surgical gains. It is therefore best to complete your family before having a Tummy Tuck.

Tummy Tuck at 22 - Yes or No?

+1

This is always a difficult question to answer when someone is young and may still have another pregnancy down the line.  Based on your picture, it is hard to say what type of surgery would be most appropriate, but there is no true contraindication to having the surgery now.  The problem, though, is that if you do get pregnant again and everything stretches out, will it remain stretched out again after pregnancy?  This is the question that you have to ask yourself - what if another pregnancy undoes the results of the first surgery and you need to go through it again.  This is why most womenwait until they are absolutely sure they are done having children.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Not Dumb unless you are planning more kids!

+1

I would not consider it dumb unless you are planning to have more children in the future.  This will basically destroy the effects of the tummy tuck, so why waster almost $10,000 .  If its a matter of a few years I would wait.  If it may be 10 years then I would say go ahead.  Only seeing one view it looks like you need a full abdominoplasty with muscle repair but at a consultation your plastic surgeon would be able to tell you exactly what is need.  Good luck with your decision.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Not dumb, just could be expensive

+1

I advise my patients to have the tummy tuck when they are finished having kids. If you get pregnant and stretch it out again then you may have to go through another expense of having another tummy tuck.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD