Normal to Feel Fear After Tummy Tuck?

I had my full tummy tuck on 8th January I wear my after garment all the time I have lost all confidence with out it I feel frightened when i havent got it on is this normal

Compression garments after Tummy Tuck

+2

Most plastic surgeons will have their tummy tuck patients wear some form of abdominal binder or compression garment for the first 3-6 weeks following a tummy tuck. Many patients will express that they feel more comfortable and confident with it on during the first month or so. Some patients can't get wait to get rid of it though.

Normal to feel dependent on compression garment

+2

This is a normal feeling and most patient would agree with what you are going through. You develop a dependency on the garment, and it feels good when you are wearing it. In general I have my patients wear it for 6 weeks and at that point they can do away with it. But most keep wearing it for a while.

So, it is not a problem if you still want to wear it longer, but it really would not affect your results any if you stopped wearing it after 6 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Okay to use compression garment for 6-8 weeks

+2

It is good to be protective of your surgery and for all the work done. Over the years few patients mentioned the same thing to me. It is okay but no need to keep it beyond 6-8 weeks. You can start but wearing it only when you walk, workout, etc.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Anxiety after Tummy Tuck very common

+2

I have a lot of patients that tell me the same thing and I tell my patient to continue wearing their garmet longer. You will overcome your fearand enjoy your new body after Tummy Tuck.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Some patients get attached to their garments

+2

There are many patients who feel greater security in their garments and request to extend their use beyond the usual 4 weeks that I personally recommend.  This is normal and the need for the garment goes away in time.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and anxiety

+2

Yes, the abdominal binder can be very reassuring and a good thing to wear post-surgery. You will feel more comfortable removing it as times goes by. I find most of my patients get "sick of it" after about 6 weeks. Keeping it on as long as you have is probably not necessary.

Recovery process after tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. Patients who undergo this procedure must understand that there is a significant recovery process. In our practice, we see the patient's very frequently after the surgery and also provide the patient with two separate compression garments that will specifically apply pressure to the areas that have been treated. After the surgery, it is normal to have a small amount of anxiety or discomfort after your surgery as you are getting used to your new curves. If you continue have concerns, returned your plastic surgeon for an assessment. They will do a thorough examination to make sure that you are healing well and give you advice on how to ensure an optimal result.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Becoming attached to your garment is normal for some

+1

Some patients like the security feeling that their garments provide, specially after a tummy tuck. I typically have patients wear their binder for 6wks. Some feel ready to go without if at about 4wks, and some like wearing it for 8wks or when they exercise. Eventually all patients stop wearing their binder once they are comfortable and ready. Feel reassured that if you have healed without incident for 6wks that your body is ready to take on some stress. Ask your surgeon for their preference, but you can try going without the binder for a few hours each day and extend that time until you are without it for the whole day. Also, you can carry it in your bag just to have it close by in case you feel like wearing it for a while. Other options are garments such as Spanx which are body shapers that make you feel like your are wearing a binder. That may be a good transition garment. You will get there.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Compression garments after Tummy Tuck

+1

This is a common concern expressed by many of my patients when I tell them they can discontinue the use of the compression garment. Typically, your tissues have healed sufficiently at 7 weeks that you should no longer need it. However, patients express fears that they will "bust open" or their muscle repair will tear.

For those who are "paralysed by the fear" of going without, I wean them off of the compression garments by transitioning to a Spanx type outfit.