Tummy a Mess Following Massive Weight loss From Gastric Bypass. What's My Best Option?

I had gastgric bypass and lost 100lbs. I weight 125 and I am vert small at 5ft 1in. My stomack is a mess! Loose skin below the belly button and loose skin and an unsightly little fast pocket above the belly button. I can deal with the no breast tissue and lax leg skin...but the tummy issue is ugly! What is the best option for fixing this?

Body contouring after massive weight loss

+2

There a variety of "tummy tuck" variations available, the classic approach works well if the laxity is more concentrated in the lower abdomen and belly button vicinity.  Other "body lifting" options can be done separately or in conjunction with the abdominoplasty.  There are more recent advances, such as the corset trunkplasty, described  by Dr Alex Moya in Pennsyvania. That approach treats both the upper and lower abdomen in one surgery.

I would recommend that you be evaluated by a number of surgeons, to determine which option may be best suited for you.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Massive Weight Lost?

+2

You should be congratulated on what you have achieved;  you have done all that can be done without surgical intervention. You are likely excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery.  This procedure will serve to remove the excess skin and adipose tissue of the abdomen as well as “tighten up” the abdominal wall muscles.

Massive Weight Lost

+2

After losing a significant amount of weight, a person can be left with extra, sagging skin and tissue that no amount of exercise can get rid of. Depending on your needs this surgery can include some or all of the following procedures: Abdominoplasty, Body Lift, Thigh or Buttock Left, or Brachioplasty (Arm Lift).  Since every person is unique your best option is to schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your expectations and desired outcome.

Jeffrey S. Yager, MD

Tummy after Massive Weight Loss

+2

Sounds like you could benefit from a tummy tuck of lower body lift. This would be good to discuss with a Board Certified plastic surgeon. If you have symptoms, part of it may be covered by insurance.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Weight loss tummy contouring

+1

A common first line of attack for patients who have lost weight is a body lift procedure.  Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).    A physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Excess skin and tissue after large weight loss

+1

Thank you for your question. For what you describe, some type of tummy tuck or a circumferential belt lower body lift usually offers significant improvement. I can't say without photos or a consultation. To select what procedure is right for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty tummy bodylift massive weight loss 360bodylift circumferential bodylift

+1

Great job on losing all that weight! With all that weight loss often what happens is that you are left with a significant amount of excess abdominal skin and some fat. At minimum, it sounds like you need a tummy tuck or an abdominoplasty. This will eliminate excess skin and fat from the abdomen and should result in a flat abdomen. If your hips, outer thighs and buttocks bother you, you may instead need a lower bodylift. This is also called a 360 bodylift or circumferential bodylift. In addition to a flat abdomen, the 360 lower bodylift will eliminate excess skin and fat from the hips and buttocks. Above all, please seek a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in surgery after massive weight loss.  Your procedure may also be covered by insurance. Good luck with your weight loss journey. Sincerely, Dr Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Talk to a board certified plastic surgeon

+1

Sounds like you need some form of abdominal/body contouring to get rid of the excess skin and fix up your abdomen.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Body Lift Often Best Procedure After Massive Weight Loss

+1

A body lift which addresses skin excess in the buttocks, back, and lateral thighs in addition to the abdomen is often the procedure of choice following massive weight loss.  If your only concern is your abdomen or if you wish to minimize down time and cost, perhaps an anbominoplasty alone would be your choice.  Discuss your options with a BC plastic surgeon.

John Whitt, MD

Usually a Full Tummy Tuck.

+1

In the vast majority of weight loss patients, loose skin is best addressed by a full tummy tuck with repair of the muscles. Without pictures or an exam, it is difficult to give much more than the "general" answer. Good Luck.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon