4 Weeks Post Abdominoplasty: Tummy Not Flat

I am very happy with the results. However, I assumed my tummy would be pretty flat. I have what I call "2 road bumps". Upper abdomen is soft to touch and is slightly bulging and the lower is a little worse giving a hang over appearance with some loose skin.

At my 2 wk postop visit PS said muscles sutures had not been undone and in 3 months it will look better. I cannot help but worry that it wont get any better as 2 wks later it still looks the same. Would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

Post op abdominoplasty

+3

I tell my patient not to pass judgement until 1. they are at least 3 months post-op; 2. they are at their day of surgery weight or a little less and; 3. they have been back to their regular fitness rountine for at least 1 month.   

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Tummy tuck Swelling?

+1

As always, it is best to be seen in person ( by your plastic surgeon) for precise diagnosis and treatment.
Abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:
1. Swelling in the soft tissues.  This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.
2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle.  this may consist of blood ( hematoma)  or serum (seroma).  This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound  may be helpful).  Treatment consists of aspiration;  several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 
3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination  with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication)  of the rectus muscles.  These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.
4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.
Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.