Can Tumescent, Smart Lipo and Cellulaze Be Done at the Same Time, in the Same Area?

since fat grafting will be done after lipo, the majority of shaping will be done with tumescent lipo. can it be immediately followed by smartlipo for tightening and cellulaze for cellulite in the same area, at the same time?

Smart Lipo, Cellulaze, Tumescent liposuction, fat grafting....

+2

This can be a very confusing topic.  In fact, I am confused by your question! :)

I am not sure where fat grafting comes in, and it seems like you may be confused about some terminology.

Overall, I commonly perform liposuction (always tumescent, often Smart Lipo, which is simply adding the laser component) with Cellulaze.  For example,  I will use the tumescent anesthetic fluid to numb up the inner and outer thighs, as well as the backs of the thighs.  Then I will perform Cellulaze to treat the cellulite on the back of the thighs and power-assisted liposuction (with or without the laser ("Smart" part)  on the inner and outer thighs.   The recovery is then all at the same time.   I have performed Cellulaze and Smart Lipo at the same time in the same area with great results, but this is for very specific reasons and does not apply to everyone.    Adding fat grafting to this mix does not make sense - I would not apply laser energy or liposuction to an area that I just injected fat into.

Here are some general definitions I use that I hope help:

"Liposuction" - a procedure to remove fat by using various sized and shaped cannulas

"Laser Liposuction" - a liposuction procedure (still uses cannulas!) with the addition of laser energy to treat the fat before it is sucked out and to help tighten the skin.  Occasionally the laser is used alone without any suctioning, sometimes in the neck for example, but usually liposuction is part of the treatment.  Smart Lipo is an example of laser liposuction.

"Tumescent" - fluid that is injected before liposuction, before Smart Lipo, before Cellulaze, etc,  to constrict the blood vessels and provide local anesthesia.  This minimizes pain and bruising and blood loss.

"Power-assisted"  - a machine that moves the tip of any liposuction cannula very fast and assists in breaking up the fatty tissue to be removed.  This can be used with Smart-Lipo as well.

"Cellulaze"  - a single minimally-invasive laser treatment that improves cellulite and can thicken skin.  Small incisions and tumescent anesthesia are required. 

"Fat grafting" - removing fat from one area, preparing it, and injecting it into another area for volume or to improve contour.  This fat needs to be treated carefully during the procedure and the healing process so that it can become incorporated and "alive" in its new location.  

ALL of these procedures can and often do result in bruising and swelling.

I do not believe that there is one-stop shopping for all patients - in my practice, I evaluate each person - their age, skin quality, fat consistency, contour, previous procedures and desires, and then I give a recommendation.  Sometimes it is for Smart Lipo, sometimes it is for straight, boring old tumescent power-assisted liposuction!  Sometimes it is for Cellulaze and  lipo, and sometimes it is for a thigh lift or tummy tuck!  There are benefits and risks to every procedure, and you need to understand why your surgeon is recommending certain things.   If you have very loose skin, no liposuction or laser procedure is going to tighten it enough if you actually need to have skin removed.  Cellulaze is not going to create photo-shopped legs with perfectly tight skin - but it is the only single treatment that can improve cellulite for the long term.

Hope this helps!

Smartlipo and Cellulaze

+1
Hello. Good question. I have done Cellulaze and SmartLipo in the same areas at the same time with very good results. I have also done Smart Lipo first then followed months later with Cellulaze. If you were to stagger them I would do the lipo first as you may get some improvement in shape with this alone or it may reduce the areas in which you are concerned about having Cellulaze. In my practice in the Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what Cellulaze or Smartlipo can do for them. Hope this helps! Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo and Cellulaze in the same area

+1
Smartlipo and Cellulaze can be done at the same time. Smartlipo will remove the fat while tightening the skin and Cellulaze will smooth over the lumpy areas. Consult with your surgeon to make sure these are the procedures that are right for you. Good luck!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Cellulaze and lipo together

+1

I generally don't like doing lipo and cellulaze in the same exact areas at the same time.  I'm not sure what you are asking on fat grafting? please clarify.  Thank you.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Cellulaze and SmartLipo at the same time

+1

Performing Cellulaze and SmartLipo in the same area at the same time is not recommended by most surgeons.  A lot of energy will be delivered by the laser in the same area leading to unpredictable results.  The best approach is to perform one procedure first and then wait 3-6 months to perform the second part.  It does not necessarily matter which of the two procedures is done first but may be based on surgeon preference.  SmartLipo Triplex and Cellulaze can be performed in the same setting as long as they are treating different areas.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

#Cellulaze

+1

Cellulaze in combination with other procedures like SmartLipo and liposuction at the same time has not been studied enough to make sure this is a safe procedure. my recommendation would be not proceed with all these procedures in one setting.  

Misbah Khan, MD

Tumscent, Smart Lipo, and Celluaze all a once.

+1

True Smart Lipo with the latest Triplex machine will break down the fat and make it unusable for fat grafting.  Cellulaze uses a different wavelength and fiber for the skin than Smart Lipo, which will cause more bruising (negating one of the advantages to Smart Lipo - less bruising).  It can be done at the same time, but you will not need the Smart Lipo laser to tighten the skin as this is redundant, and the results can be unpredictable.  Contour deformities seen with type 3 severe cellulite is best treated with Smart Lipo first, then return several months later with Cellulaze in order to improve the contours to those particular areas.  I would recommend being evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon that is familiar with all of the techniques you are desiring to improve your shape.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Can Cellulaze and Smart Lipo be done at the same time in the same area

+1

The procedures are not designed to be done at the same time.  The results are not predictable and can lead to poor results.  There is also too much laser energy and heat in the same area to work well.  Both types of laser, Cellulaze and Smart Lipo, can have a skin tightening effect so we would recommend separating the procedures by 6 months.  The second procedure may not even be necessary at that time

Paul M. Glat, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo and cellulite aren't designed to be done at the same time in the same area

+1

The amounts of energy needed to create the desired effects with Smartlipo and with Cellulaze have been worked out when those procedures have been done alone.  While it is possible to combine the procedures, it is safest and most predictable to do Smartlipo first and then Cellulaze later if needed.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

I do not recommend both smartlipo and cellulaze at the same time

+1

Many of our patients will get a tightening effect from the smartlipo alone.  I recommend first removing unwanted fat with the smartlipo procedure and then waiting at least 3 mo before doing cellulaze.  you may find that the tightening effect of smartlipo eliminates the need for an additional cellulaze procedure.  also, once the smartlipo has removed the unwanted fat, the cellulaze procedure is much more effective in smoothing the remaining areas.

Jay Zimmerman, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon