Tumescent Liposuction. Is it normal to have hard lumps and some heat in your stomach after 3 months?

Post Tumescent Liposuction Lumps

+1

Thank you for your question. Some are more prone to lumps and irregularities. There are treatments such as Vaser or Vela shape to help smooth it out.  I would recommend getting a f/u appointment with your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Lumps can occur, but if they are very large, this could be an infection or fluid collection

+1

It is not uncommon to have small lumps on the areas after liposuction, but it is unusual to have heat in this area.  You should have your surgeon evaluate this to make sure it is OK and if you need further work done.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Lumps following tumescent liposuction

+1

The "heat" you are feeling is probably some hypersensitivity or increased blood flow to the area as a normal physiologic response for healing in the absence of infection.
Regarding your complaint of Post Tumescent Liposuction  Hard Lumps - here are some answers about its cause and treatment
Massage can help manage firm lumps and bumps following liposuction to a varying degree. If the reason for this firm area is because of residual edema (called induration) then it will likely be gone by 6 months. Other causes may be from a localized seroma, liquefied fat pocket, or a fat deposit that did not survive.

Therapeutic or "lymphatic massage" may be helpful following  a  Liposuction Procedure to minimize swelling and resolve some of these firm areas.. Make sure your surgeon feels that you have healed sufficiently  and it is safe before doing this.  Endermologie is also very helpful after liposculpture/liposuction but again, not critical.  Although deep tissue massage following liposuction can aid in smoothing out  contour irregularities that invariably accompany this procedure it has limited effect on the final outcome and  is NOT mandatory. Some plastic surgeons recommend it to all  patients as they feel the edema resolves faster.  Ask your surgeon to show you or a significant other how to do this if cost is an issue. Typically they will have you massage toward areas of maximum lymphatic drainage ( for example groin or armpits) A low sodium diet may also be helpful early on.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Lumps can occur. Heat is unusual.

+1

Hard lumps can develop after liposuction. They can be scar tissue, areas of dead fat (fat necrosis), old blood clots (organizing hematoma), or contour irregularities where you are feeling the firm muscle underneath. These and the heat can only be definitively evaluated by your plastic surgeon.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Hard Lumps and Heat After Three Months

+1

No it is not normal to have hard lumps and heat three months after tumescent liposuction. I see some of this at three to four weeks but not after that.

A simple biopsy would answer the question of what is going on. A culture needs to be taken also. As you might can tell, I am wondering about infection.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon