Tumescent Liposuction Help Please?

I'm going to have tumescent liposuction with PAL on my thighs (inner& outer), hips, and abdomen. My surgeon says he'll do it under general anesthetics. I want to know whether this can be done under local anesthetics, or are there too many areas done at once for that? Then should I split the procedure into two (first with hips and thighs, and later with abdomen)? I will have around 2-3 liters of fat removed. The main problem I have is the effect that the general anesthetic/ IV sedation will have on my cognitive function (memory, learning, etc). Is this true btw?

Liposuction and type of Anesthesia?

+1

The procedure you describe can be done under local anesthesia with sedation or under general anesthesia;  both techniques can be performed safely in the right hands and in the right location.

More important  to the success of your operation will be your choice of surgeon. Do your due diligence  during the selection process.

Best wishes.

Power Assisted Liposuction

+1

Hello ~

Seeing photographs would be helpful, but not necessary in this case. Power-assisted lipoplasty is our preferred method of tumescent liposuction, producing exceptional results in a fraction of the time of traditional liposuction. 

There is no contraindication to perform lipoplasty on any given number of areas.  More importantly, the total volume of lipoaspirate would be one of the determinants of safety. If you are only requiring 2 - 3 liters of lipoplasty, and assuming you are cleared medically for surgery, you should be fine to undergo the procedure addressing medial/lateral thighs and abdomen.  

Regarding general anesthesia, if you are healthy, it is extremely safe. You should not experience any cognitive deficits from the general anesthetic. This is simply not true.

Best of luck ~

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Trust your doc when it comes to how many areas he will do at one liposuction.

+1

Without photos, it is hard to advise you but if your doc says he can do it all at one liposuction, then trust him.  Doing it under local anesthesia is always safer and could give better results since your doc can stand you up and  put you in different positions to see exactly what needs to be done which gen anesthesia can't do. It probably would need to be done in 2 procedures just a week apart if under local.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Tumescent liposuction only with local anesthesia

+1

Liposuction can be done under local anesthesia without any general anesthesia. I've performed over 5,000 local anesthesia-only tumescent liposuction procedures. Not all surgeons are comfortable ditching the use of general anesthesia because they're not used to dealing with a patient who is awake. It's actually a great time for me to get to know my patients better by having some great conversations during the procedure

Removing 2-3 liters of fat at one session is well within the safe limits of liposuction. The dose of local anesthesia that can be administered safely is also a very important factor, and may be a reason to potentially split the fat removal into 2 sessions. A physician experienced with doing liposuction with only local anesthesia can determine that during a consultation.

Recovering from general anesthesia is difficult for some individuals. In my opinion, if it's not necessary to be under general, why go through it.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon