Tumescent Liposuction Safe for Patients with Low Blood Pressure?

I have low blood pressure (generally mid-90's over high 50's or low 60's). Is it safe for me to have tumescent liposuction under local anesthesia? I sometimes become light headed upon standing, or if I tilt my head back (as if to look up at something). I also get clammy and light headed when having blood drawn.

Low Blood Pressure and Liposuction

+1

Patients with low blood pressure can safely undergo tumescent liposuction without difficulty in the majority of cases.  However, when low blood pressure is present, patients should have an appropriate medical evaluation before proceeding with surgery.  In most cases this would involve an EKG and comprehensive physical examination.  In the majority of cases these will be normal and surgery can be performed as planned.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent Lipo

+1

After a medical clearance, you should have no trouble with the procedure.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for your procedure and I recommend a certified surgery center for your procedure if you are having emergency concerns.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent liposuction with low blood presssure

+1

Very many women have low blood pressure, and many people will feel a bit lightheaded when they stand up quickly depending on age. The tumescent liposuction under local should be safe, and even with sedation your pressure should be carefully monitored. We suggest a visit with your primary care physician fro a clearance checkup to certain you are ready.

peterejohnsonmd

Low blood pressure and tumescence

+1

Low blood pressure is not a contraindication for tumescent liposuction but you may need observation for first 24 hours as you may have dizziness and fainting attack.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent liposuction for patients with low blood pressure

+1

Tumescent liposuction is safe for patients with low blood pressure. Your surgeon should recommend a medical evaluation to determine that there are no underlying health problems. If you are otherwise healthy, the surgery may be performed safely and if only a small areas to be treated, the surgery may be performed with local or regional anesthesia alone. Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in liposuction and body contouring. Also check to make sure that your surgeon has privileges to do the procedure not only in his office but at a hospital as well. This way, they can present all the possible options for you so that you can receive the one that is in your best interest

Pat Pazmino, MD

Safety of Tumescent Liposuction under Local in people with LOW Blood Pressure

+1

Like everything in Medicine the answer is MAYBE.

Depending on your age and your state of health, if you are otherwise healthy, having physiologic Orthostatic hypotension (feeling dizzy when standing too quickly etc) is NOT a contraindication for tumescent liposuction under local. After all, both the tumescent solution and the adrenaline (epinephrine) are partially absorbed and raise the blood pressure a tad.

I would recommend you clear this with your Internist to be sure, but I do not foresee any reservations.

Dr. P. Aldea

Discuss this with your physician

+1

Many patients after the liposuction feel light-headed even if they usually don’t have low blood pressure problems. We have our patients standup upon completion of the surgery to check their results and at this time they may feel very light-headed. Usually some medication is given to make patients feel more relaxed and that can lower the blood pressure also. It might be best for you to have a preoperative clearance from your internist and mention this to the liposuction surgeon in consultation so they can contact your doctor and discuss it.

Ronald Shelton, MD

You ought to get medical clearance from your doctor first

+1

This is a very good question and one that you ought to give to your regular MD to decide upon. It is quite possible that you will be an outstanding candidate, but you can't ever be too safe with this type of situation.

Usually, we worry more about the folks that have HIGH blood pressure rather than those who have low pressure. Whatever the case, I would check it out with your doctor first. Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Your physician will have to decide

+1

This is a very good question. In general many people have blood pressures similar to you however if you are symptomatic (Becoming light headed if you tilt your head back) you will want to discuss this with your physician as well.

Many people get cold and clammy with blood draws and IVs, however these are issues that you will want to discuss with your plastic surgeon in detail.

In general, for most healthy people liposuction can be done in a safe manner awake (under local anesthesia) when done by a board certified physician whom has the appropriate training and is being done in an accredited facility.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon