Tumescent Liposuction and Swollen Ankle? (photo)

I'm having Tumescent lipo in my thighs in a week. I sprained my ankle 7 weeks ago. My ankle is a little swollen. Should I be concerned? Should I be worried about a thromboembolism?

No Increased Risk of Thromboembolism

+2

Thank you for this interesting question.  Thinking back over the years, I have had a few patients who had swollen ankles prior to liposuction surgery, and this never caused anything resembling thromboembolism (blood clots).  This, of course, is a question for your plastic surgeon. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Risk of blood clots and embolism with lipo

+2

The risk of thromboembolism (blood clots in legs going to the lungs) really depends on the choice of anesthesia above all else.

When liposuction is done purely with tumescent anesthesia (meaning you are NOT put to sleep but rather numbing fluid is used), THERE IS NO RISK OF BLOOD CLOTS.

For reasons that are not totally understood, blood clots with surgery are related to GENERAL ANESTHESIA.

Ankle swelling or a sprain should not affect lipo on the thighs.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Tumescent Liposuction and Swollen Ankle?

+2

Why would you not ask your chosen surgeon is beyond me. He/she is the operative option here and their responsibility. In my practice I would discuss the issue and determine the risks before operating upon you. Best 

Tumescent Lipo

+2

No worries . Your sprain is not going to cause a thromboembolism and should not adversely effect your liposuction.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon