Tumescent Lipo Redo - Is 7 Weeks Too Soon to See Results?

Recently I have had tumescent lipo done on my abdomen. The results were a bit uneven and my doctor offered to fix them for me free of charge. About 7 weeks ago I went ahead and redid the procedure. Now it looks more uneven. I don't know if this is normal or should I look for another doctor? Is 7 weeks too soon to see results?

Correction of post-liposuction defects

+2

correction of post-lipo defects should be withheld for at least 4-6 months if the treated areas are still swollen 

Recovery & Swelling: What To Expect Following Liposuction

+1

Patients undergoing tumescent liposuction of the abdomen will often develop swelling, firmness and areas of unevenness following this procedure.  During the procedure, the liposuction cannula is passed through the subcutaneous tissue.  This causes disruption of the lymphatic channels and cellular injury which results in these characteristic physical findings.

These findings can persist for several months following surgery.  In most cases improvement is seen within 3 to 4 weeks following surgery.  In other cases, improvement may continue for up to 3 to 4 months following the procedure.  Small amounts of firmness may persist for up to a year following surgery in some cases.

For these reasons, we don’t recommend revisional surgery for 6 to 12 months following tumescent liposuction.  In the interim, we generally recommend the use of compression garments, low salt diets, ambulation and massage.  These steps help mobilize retained fluid and accelerate the healing process.  Once swelling has resolved and the situation is stabilized, a decision can be made regarding revisional surgery.

It’s important to discuss these issues with your surgeon.  If you’re not happy with the response consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon may be appropriate. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Wait to see your final results

+1

Your picture shows very good results 7 weeks post op, this is a little to soon to see your final result. At this point you should see a contour in your body, with everyday seeing an improvement. Be patient and you will soon see great results!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Uneven after liposuction

+1

The healing time after liposuction takes least 6-9 months. It may take up to 6 months for all the swelling to subside. For now, it is too soon to know what the final results will be. I would suggest to massage the area (even using a rolling pin over the area) and exercise to help your tissue deal with the excess fluid still present. Warm compresses may be helpful and wearing a light-weight support girdle. If you have questions, be sure to ask your plastic surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Liposuction

+1

It is too early to tell whether the unevenness is permanent or swelling.  I recommend gentle massage or even Endermologie to help with swelling, lymphatic drainage and to improve evenness.  Sometimes it can take 6-9 months to get to the final result.  Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction revision

+1

I tell my patients not to look for their final results for three to six months following liposuction.  In the meantime, massages and warm compresses may help even out any irregularities.  When I was a resident, I even remember one of my attendings telling his patients to get a rolling pin or a paint roller and use it on the area!

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Abdomen Uneven after redo Lipo. Seven Weeks Too Soon to See Results?

+1

No, it isn't, but you would have to be re-evaluated between 3 and 4 months to see how it is all going to settle down. You had lipo once, and the redo goes through scarred fibrous tissue. Then the healing process starts all over again. You really can't make a final judgement at this time.

It is possible that you will still have some unevenness in the end. Then it would have to be determined if this is significant enough to warrant any further treatment.  I would be quite patient for now.

In cases where revision lipoplasty was indicated, I have used the Smartlipo Triplex with good effect. This laser assisted method is good at breaking down the fibrous tissue and irregularities, so that even if no more fat needs removal, the abdominal skin can redistribute and lay down over the fascia more evenly. The link below illustrates such a patient who had had previous ultrasonic-assisted lipoplasty with unevenness.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

At 7 weeks post lipo revision, becoming less likely it will improve

+1

although i agree it would be premature to conclude another revision is absolutely needed at just 7 weeks, it is starting to become less likely that this is definitely going to resolve itself. nevertheless, another revision should absolutely wait several months. prior to any more surgery, you may feel better getting a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of liposuction ( but again, probably not for a few months) .

massage, try to be patient, and consider wearing a light compression garment (something like "spanks" might be good). best of luck....it's no fun when cosmetic surgery doesn't turn out as well as hoped the first time around-but it does happen occasionally, even in the best of hands.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Results at 7 Weeks Following Liposuction

+1

Uneven results at 7 weeks may be the result of swelling alone.  Wait at least 6 months to evaluate the result.  Massage may help with tethering scar tissue.

At 7 weeks after tumescent liposuction you should see a significant improvement.

+1

After tumescent liposuction, you see only a little improvement at 1 week but at 4 weeks you should see a big improvement.  At 7 weeks you will know if you need a touch up or not since even tho it is not at the end result, you are at 80% improved to where you are going to end up. From your photos, you definitely need to have the whole tummy done completely since there is way too much fullness and unevenness for my liking. Talk to your doc and give him/her another chance but if they are doing this under gen. anesthesia, you may not get any better since they can't stand you up to see if it is flat and smooth and symmetrical. Sincerely,

Dr Hansen

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon