What Happens when Tumescent Lipo is Done to Area w/o Tumescent Fluid Injected?

Liposuction without Tumescent Fluid

+2

To answer your question about Tumescent Liposuction without Tumescent fluid, it is necessary to clarify the term "Tumescent Liposuction."  In the true meaning of the term, Tumescent Liposuction is liposuction performed by infusing a solution of dilute xylocaine (local anesthetic) and epinephrine (adrenalin) into the fatty tissue without any sedation or other type of anesthesia. The xylocaine provides the anesthesia and the epinephrine constricts the blood vessels, resulting in minimal blood loss and bruising.

In 1987, I published research about the blood loss that occurred using different liposuction techniques. The results and findings were the blood loss in any liposuction without Tumescent fluid was unacceptably high. In order to minimize the blood loss in liposuction, the surgeon must infiltrate a solution that contains epinephrine into the fat. Today, it is universally accepted that the safest way to perform liposuction requires infiltrating Tumescent fluid into the fat.

If the surgeon is using general anesthesia or epidural anesthesia, the primary role of the fluid is to prevent bleeding, not to provide anesthesia. The anesthesia ( pain relief) comes from the general or the epidural.

If the surgeon is using pure traditional Tumescent Anesthesia, the fluid provides the anesthesia and prevents blood loss.

Now, I can answer your question. If the anesthesia is pure traditional Tumescent, surgery beyond the fluid will hurt as the surgeon works in an unanesthetized area and you will have bleeding and bruising. If the primary anesthesia is general or epidural and the liposuction is performed beyond the limits of the infiltration, you will not feel anything (you are under anesthesia) but you will have excessive bleeding and bruising.

This was a great question. I hope my long answer covers your concerns.

Richard L. Dolsky MD

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent lipo without tumescence?

+1

Then, it's a form of "dry" liposuction...which tends to have a much higher degree of blood loss, and risk of requiring a transfusion.  It's not done anymore, for these reasons, for liposuction of any significant volumes.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Tumescent liposuction is not tumescent without the fluid

+1

The safety of today's liposuction is owed to Dr. Jeffrey Klein, a dermatologic surgeon, who studied the physiology of liposuction and the anesthetic injections of very dilute lidocaine.  The word tumesce means to make firm, usually with fluid.  The large volume of dilute local anesthetic helps minimize blood loss so no longer to patients need to have their blood typed and have units of blood availalbe for transfusion as was common in the early 1980s when liposuction was done with the dry technique (which is your reference). The wet technique, and variants of such, involve some but not as much dilute anesthetic as used in the tumescent technique.

Ronald Shelton, MD

What happens if tumescent liposuction is done without tumescence?

+1

If no tumescent fluid is injected then the technique is not "tumescent".  Sometimes, however, some of the suction may extend slightly outside of the region of tumescence and in these cases there is more bleeding and resulting bruising.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

+1

Than it is called "Dry technique". This is the term from the mid 80's, for no fluids injected. Dr. Fournier, France, popularized this for a few years. But the bleeding, excess swelling, pain caused this to be abandoned. Fluid injections using differing formulae and amounts injected have been done for years. There is "Wet", Super Wet" tumescent techniques. DSo I hope you understand now. From MIAMI 

Tumescent lipo

+1

Your question basically is what if you do liposuction without fluid infusion. Then the area that does not have the fluid added will likely have more bruising and blood loss.