I Had Tumescent Abdominal Lipo 2 Weeks Ago. I Have Gained 10 Lbs This Week and Its Not from Eating. Is This Normal?

I'm extremely swollen in the abdomen. It is not soft but hard but. Is back almost to the look I had prior to surgery. This area was flat after surgery. I had 2 ounces of bloody fluid removed last week as I had no drainage after surgery even with open incisions. I've gained 10 lbs in a week 2 weeks after surgery. I wear my compression garment religiously. I seem to be swollen in my hands as well and generally feel swollen all over. I'm very concerned - is this normal?

Weight gain after liposuction

+1
Weight gain can occur following liposuction and is attributed to swelling and fluid retention. Since you are still early on in your recovery period, you can expect to experience this type of swelling. Most of the swelling will be gone in 2-3 weeks, but some firmness can last 6-8 weeks. The final result can usually be assessed at 3-4 months. I usually recommend patients wear a compression garment, worn day and night for 3 weeks, removing it only to shower or wash the garment. From 3 to 6 weeks, the garment should be worn during the day, but you can take it off at night.

Reduce salt intake and drink plenty of fluids to encourage going to the washroom regularly. This can help. 

Concerned about swelling after liposuction

+1

It is normal to be swollen after surgery.  Your entire body (even your hands) can be swollen from retained fluid.  In the areas of surgery (abdomen), you would notice more swelling.  In next couple weeks, you would notice more frequent urination and decrease in swelling.  Continue with compression garment and follow your plastic surgeon's postoperative instruction.

Sugene Kim, MD

Swelling after liposuction

+1

Swelling after liposuction is normal and retaining fluid is normal too. It should get better with time. If concerned, see your doctor.