I had a Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty and a Turbinate Reduction done 6 months ago.

After the swelling went down I noticed a big lump on the top of my nose and my breathing didnt get better out of my left nostril. my doctor said that my bones where trying to heal on top of each other. I'm going to have my lump shaved down tomorrow and my turbinate reduced but he doesn't want to do it under general anesthesia. He's doing it under local anesthesia but I'm afraid that I might get an anxiety attack and be in pain. Is this something that should be done under general anesthesia!

Rhinoplasty and revision turbinate reduction under local anesthesia

+2
Dear Trompuda1, I would ask for the anesthesia you are comfortable with. While this could be done under local my preference is to use general to make sure the patient is comfortable, blood pressure is controlled, no anxiety and the patient wakes up happy with no discomfort involved. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

For rhinoplasty revision insist on the level of anesthesia that you need.

+2
Some patients can have revisional procedures with local anesthesia only. Others demand a general anesthetic. You need to decide which patient you are and insist on the proper level of anesthesia.

Anxiety under anesthesia

+2
One of the most important situations that need to be present at the time of any surgical situation is that the patient is calm and comfortable. Otherwise the patients blood pressure will be elevated and cause excessive bleeding or the patient may move uncontrolled and cause a surgical accident. Get the anesthesia you need.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Local anesthesia rhinoplasty

+1
These procedures can be done under local anesthesia but if you are already very anxious about it, I would not recommend you do it this way.  Remember, the margin of error on dorsal reductions is small and he could underdo it again.  With you moving and complaining, it will be harder on your surgeon.  I would recommend general anesthesia.  

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon