Is there a downside to having eyes done first and facelift at a later date?

I originally planned for upper and lower bleph with ptosis repair, and maybe lipo, etc under chin area; probably fat transfer too, but seems a facelift is automatically rec'd for woman my age. If I decide I want the FL later is there a downside to already having the eyes done? I definitely have volume loss, but facelift doesn't do that anyway. Eyes and chin bother me most. Thank you for your time.

No Major Disadvantages for Separate Surgeries

+3
Thanks for your question. The only real benefit to having both eyes and face done at the same time is the potential slight decrease in the cost and the fact that there will be 2 recovery times. Other than those issues, the facelift and eyes are almost mutually exclusive and can be addressed at separate times without affecting the other. I would suggest doing the area that bothers you the most first. The other can wait and may not be as troublesome to you after you address the major issue first. Best wishes!

It is common to have eyelid surgery first followed by a facelift at a later date.

+3
In my opinion there is no downside to having your eyelids done first and waiting for your facelift at a later date.  In fact this will shorten the duration of your facelift surgery and allow the surgeon to concentrate more on perfecting your facelift without concern about also doing the eyes.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Is it reasonable to stage cosmetic procedures on the face

+3
It is very reasonable to stage cosmetic procedures in the face. Many people will address the eyes and, at a later date, address the face. Many factors need to be considered. The most important factors include the amount of time you have to heal and the intensity of the healing process. The downside to staging cosmetic procedures is that you have to have two or more separate procedures with the associated recovery time. Ultimately, there is no right or wrong answer and you can achieve a great result in either case as long as you choose an experienced facial plastic surgeon with proven results that you like.

Todd C. Miller, MD

No downside

+3
No there is really no connection between doing the eyes and facelift together or separately other than the need for anesthesia on two separate occasions and the separate recovery times. We often do the upper face and months or years later do the lower face or vice versa.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyes and chin first would be fine

+3
Your plan for staging your procedures is perfectly fine.  Have already had blepharoplasty, chin work and fat grafting should not pose any issues. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Timing of face and eyelid surgery?

+3
In general, I tell patients that the best money you can spend is on the eyes. Nothing makes you look better than periorbital, or eyelid, rejuvenation to get rid of that tired, puffy, wrinkled look encompassing the eyes. While excess facial and neck skin, and facial volume loss are a nuisance, they are second only to the eyes.
So go ahead and treat your eyes first or do them at the same time, but not the other way around. "Here's looking at you kid,".....good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty without facelift

+3
There is not a downside to having your blepharoplasty (and possibly lipo) done first and waiting to have a facelift at a later time, as long as harmony of the face are maintained by the surgeon. Desirable aesthetics of the face usually depend on the balance between the upper, mid and lower face.  You want to make sure that after your surgery your eyes do not look years younger than the rest of your face. When you meet with a plastic surgeon, just explain your surgery goals and your concerns about only having a blepharoplasty at this point. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Eyes without facelift

+3
In some cases some additional loose lower eyelid skin may be noted with the secondary facelift due to the fact that the face is lifted superiorly.  If necessary it could be addressed at the time of the facelift.  Good luck.

Donald Nunn, MD

Facelift and eyelid lift procedures together or separately

+3
There is no significant downside to having your eyelid surgery prior to your facelift. Having two different recovery time may become an issue for people who are working and do not have much of free time for recovery. Most of the time these two procedures are combined.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Eyelids or facelift

+3
Thank you for your question. Eyelid lift (blepharoplasty) is frequently combined with a facelift, but you can definitely stage the operations. It does not really matter which one you do first if you stage them. If you were considering a brow lift then the order of surgery would be slightly more important. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon