My nose looks like a boot after rhinoplasty. Do you think it's swelling or a deficiency of the surgery? (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty refining the tip and using ear cartilage to add to the bridge. The photo is the 8th day when the splint is off. However, my nose looks like it comes from forehead directly. My bulbous tip is higher than the rest of the nose - my profile is not straight. It looks like saddle nose or a boot. It's 10 days now, but there is no much of a difference. I've never seen this level of swelling in other people's pictures before. Do you think it's swelling or a deficiency of the surgery?

Swelling of dorsum and radix after dorsal augmentation during rhinoplasty

+2
Augmentation of the nasal dorsum (bridge) often results in significant edema and swelling.  For some patients it will take 3-6 months for the majority of the swelling to resolve, and especially for you at 10 days post-surgery, you can expect the bridge will settle and lower.  The radix - the portion of your bridge connected to your forehead - will lower as the swelling resolves.  

With regards to the relationship of your tip and bridge - your tip likely will project more than your bridge when fully healed, though the projection of the tip and the swelling of the supratip will certainly decrease as your nose heals.  

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1
Dear crazyride,

• It is still early to make conclusions about the shape of the nose
  • I would bring up your concerns to your surgeon
  • When the tip swelling comes down, the nose will look more proportional

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Rhinoplasty Concerns

+1
Dear Crazyride, It is difficult to state exactly where you are in the recovery phase and how much swelling you have however eight days post surgery is to soon to determine any final result. Preoperative photographs would be very helpful in seeing if your dorsum was straight before the surgery and what was done during the surgery versus your current post operative photographs. I completely understand and easily visualize the problems you see with your nose now. I would discuss these concerns with your surgeon and hopefully that will inform you of what your surgeons expectations are for your recovery and what your expected final result is. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1
Obviously your nose is still swollen and the tip should drop relative to the for sum.  That said your for sum still
looks low and may not have been augmented enough.  An examination and review of post op photos would be helpful

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

One week is too early to make a judgment after rhinoplasty.

+1
With the grafting and so forth you have had a significant amount of surgery on the nose. The final aesthetic product will take months to achieve.