My eyes bother me most, is there a downside to having eyes done first and facelift at a later date?

I originally thought I would get upper and lower bleph with ptosis repair, and maybe lipo, etc under chin area; probably fat transfer, also. However, it seems a facelift is automatically rec'd for women my age (almost 60). If I decide I want the FL later is there a downside to getting the eyes done previously? I know I have facial volume loss, but facelift doesn't do that anyway. Eyes and chin bother me most. Thank you for your time.

Is there a downside to having eyes done first and facelift at a later date?

+2
Having blepharoplasty and facelift done at the same time can often create more harmony after surgery. However, you can choose to have just your eyes and/or chin area done now and wait until you are ready to have a facelift in the future. The decision is entirely yours.

Facelifts aren’t always automatically recommended for women at a certain age, it just depends on the aging changes each person is experiencing and which areas they feel comfortable addressing with surgery. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in facial surgery to discuss the best surgical plan for you.

+2
That is perfectly reasonable.  If you want your eyes and chin first...that's perfect.  Most times, it is less expensive to perform the surgeries together.  If possible (at the time of surgery), having some filler to give your face some shape would enhance you even more.   

+2
Do the areas that concern you. The procedures can be done at the same time or sequentially. The downsides of doing them sequentially, which many patients do, include: 2 anesthsias, 2 recoveries, and a greater cost for the operating room and supplies.

It is important to realize that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without seeing photos and without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Facial rejuvenation needs to be individualized. What would be an ideal approach for one patient is not necessarily the same for someone else. Based on the examination and discussion at the consultation, you should have a better understanding of the various options that can achieve the best cosmetic result for you.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

+2
This is not a problem in any way. As long as you are a good candidate for these procedures you can either do them together or separate them. I see alot of patients who are less interested in undergoing all procedures simultaneously but instead want to make more gradual changes. This does add a small amount of expense to the overall cost and additional downtime since each surgery will require 7-10 days to recover. However, if this is the right choice for you, then proceeding in the fashion you suggest is fine. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty timing

+2
In reviewing your thread of questions it appears you are ready but reluctant for blepharoplasty surgery.  This hesitation is reasonable because your result depends on the surgeon you pick. Since your focus is on the eyelids that would be the logical first step and would not preclude future facial or chin surgery.  

Your photos indicate thick upper eyelid folds with a vertical fissure asymmetry that could represent ptosis, or more likely, a mechanical effect that could be addressed by revising the eyelid folds.  Your post-op appearance will be determined by crease placement - low, medium or high - and should be decided in advance of your surgery to be sure you get the look you want.  There are limits to this format and a live consultation would allow a more detailed discussion about what technique and crease position can best suit your needs. 

Jeffrey P. Edelstein, MD
Chandler Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery candidate

+2
Both eyelid surgery and a facelift can be performed together or separately. The facelift can always be done at a later time without any issues. There is no downside to getting the eyes done prior to a facelift. 

Timing of eye surgery and face lift

+2
If you submitted this question twice - I may have answered it already. But here goes -

You should have the surgery that you want done.
Yes, it is common to have eye surgery with a face lift -
It is just as common to have it separately.

If you are having your lower lids done, that can include a mid-face lift - leaving the lower face and neck lift for later or, if the issue is just volume loss, having fat injections done to the entire face, at another time. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Can eyes be done first and later facelift ?

+2
There is no downside on having eyes done first and later the lower face.  In fact, that is how it is done often for various reasons.  It also takes quicker to heal from upper face surgery and lower face surgery.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelids and facelift

+2
There is no problem with having eyelids corrected first, particularly if you have ptosis. The indications for facelift and eyelid correction are different. Though some people will benefit from both, doing one does not preclude having the other done later.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon