Is my sports bra hindering my breasts from dropping after augmentation? (photos)

I am 4 weeks post-op and have worn a well-fitted sports bra 24/7 since the surgery. Is this hindering my breasts from dropping? They are still sitting very high and I fear they are not going to move. I am 4 weeks post op on one breast, 2 weeks post op on the other because of a hematoma surgery. My surgeon had me hold off on massaging altogether until the hematoma breast was 2 weeks, so I'm behind on that stage. I'm also afraid that the pocket is healing to the size of my implant...

Constricting bra may hinder breast implant dropping

+1
Thank you for your question.  In my practice I have patients go without a bra wearing a camisole for the first 6 weeks after breast augmentation.  My belief is that this allows the implant to move and adjust to a better position when not restricted by the bra.  I understand that initially with a hematoma neurosurgeon wanted the compressive effect of the bra.  However at this point in time a superior pole wrap, displacement exercises, and going without a bra may help.  Be sure to consult your plastic surgeon.

Breast implant dropping

+1
Dear Tucson girl,
At 4 weeks out, you are too early to try and evaluate the final results . I do not think the sports bra is keeping them from dropping, I have my patients wear one as well and they drop with time. Implants tend to ride high in the pocket for the first few weeks and they "drop" over the next 3-6 months. Additionally, the 2 sides can drop at different rates, so one can be higher for a while. At some point your surgeon may suggest a bandeau (strap across the top of your breasts) in order to encourage them to drop sooner. However, you need to wait 3-6 months to see what your final result will be. I know its hard to do, but try and be patient.

Luis H. Macias, MD

Is my sports bra hindering my breasts from dropping after augmentation?

+1
Your breast implants are certainly high at this point in your recovery. I would typically advise my patients to wear a breast strap that places pressure on the upper pole of the implants when they have high riding implants, as yours are.  I will usually start the strap anywhere from immediately after surgery or up to 2 weeks post operatively- then to continue wearing the strap until the desired amount of settling is obtained.  This helps to keep the pocket open and stretch the pectoralis muscle allowing the implants to settle into the best position.  I dont think it is too late to start wearing a strap, and I would certainly advise not wearing a bra, or if you need a bra, wear a very light unrestricted bra until the implants have settled.  Your muscle may still be very tight, and this can contribute to high riding implants.  It can take up to 6 months for your implants to settle into position; if at 6 months they are still high, you may need revisional surgery.  Stay in close contact with your surgeon, and go over your concerns with him/her. Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Sports bra post/op breast augmentation

+1
I do not use or recommend sports bras as a tight bra may not allow the skin to stretch postop. It is the natural stretching of skin that causes your implants to "drop". 

My my concern is that you have large implants, with a history of a hematoma. I would recommend early gentle massage and a bra with a cup. 

John Sampson, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Sports bras and implant settling

+1
Implants under the chest muscle take awhile to settle.  It is not the sports bra that is affecting the descent of your implants. It is the chest muscle. I tell my patients that it may take as long as two to three months for your tissue to stretch and soften to accommodate the implants.  With that in mind, you are still relatively early in the process.  You will get there.  I actually encourage my patients to wear a sports bra or no bra at all.  Sports bras will give you a little leeway regarding size while still giving you some support.  Gravity is your friend here.  The one bra you want to avoid at this juncture is an underwire or push-up type bra.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD