Tummy Tuck a Good Idea or Not? (photo)

I have lost over 30 pds, but since then have injured my si joint and found out I have two bulging disc, one moderate to severe with stenosis. Back doctors dont seem to be worried. Anyway, I really want a tummy tuck to get rid of this excess skin but concerned about if it would make the back and Si joint worse or actually help it. I reallly want it but at the same time want to be funtional in my everyday life. What is your opinion? I have been doing prolothearpy and been off naproxen 17 weeks now.

Tummy Tuck a Good Idea or Not?

+1

Based upon the photos and not the patient, you seem to be an excellent candidate and should expect a marked improvement in your contour. 

It seems quite unlikely that there would be a change in the status of your back pain. Most of us have heard from a number of TT patients that their back pain had improved, but I am not convinced that there weren't some who were worse but did want to tell us! There are certainly no studies that support doing a TT for back pain!

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Great candidate for a tummy t

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  I am not concerned that your SI joint issue will be affected by a tummy tuck.  Most tummy tuck patients will have some lower back pain in the first week of recovery.  This is a temporary issue secondary to being bent at the waste.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Good tummy tuck candidate

+1

You are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Your back pain should not interfere with your ability to have a tummy tuck, but ask your primary care physician and back specialist if they are ok with it. You may find that your back pain improves after tummy tuck, but don't count on it.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Back disease and tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for your inquiry and congratulations on your weight loss, I hope it helped your back and SI joint pain.  I think you are an excellent candidate to address the cosmetic concerns of your abdomen with a tummy tuck.  I am not so sure it will help your back pain, and could make it worse while you are recovering because you have to walk hunched over and limit any therapeutic excercises, massage, or treatment you may normally use to control pain and maintain function. Will you please discuss with your doctor working with you on your back if a tummy tuck with its recovery process are good for you.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Tummy tuck can reduce back pain in some patients.

+1

Congrats on the weight loss.  You clearly could benefit from a tummy tuck.  This might also help alleviate your back pain.  In a study performed at our center, 28% of patients reported an improvement in back pain after tummy tucks.  The muscles are aligned and the extra weight is removed, which should improve the biomechanics of your lower back.  Of course there are no guarantees that the surgery will help, but it is very unlikely that it would do anything to make the pain worse.  I've attached link to this part of my website in case you wish to read more.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1
First of all you should see a certified plastic surgeon to determine whether this procedure would benefit you. Getting the clearance from your primary doctors would be number 1.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS