Is Nasal Congestion Post-rhinoplasty Common?

I had a rhinoplasty 2 years ago. Since the surgery, I have one nasal cavity that remains overly dry/scabbed and is prone to bleeding. I am also congested more often than not, and this was not a common issue prior to the rhinoplasty. Are these common tradeoffs for the surgery?

Bleeding and Congestion 2 years after Rhinoplasty

+1

An internal nasal exam performed by your surgeon should be able to determine if there is an anatomic cause for either of these symptoms.  If there is not, he or she should be able to offer some medical treatments.

Post Rhinoplasty Congestion

+1

Though what you are describing is common, I would recommend that you should visit an expert otolaryngologist (ENT) for the internal bleeding. It may also be a good idea to begin irrigating with saline.

Should not have nasal congestion after rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi.

Go see a good ear, nose, and throat doctor for a full evaluation.  What you are describing is not normal and can probably be corrected.

Nasal Congestion After Rhinoplasty #nosejob

+1

It is common early on after surgery however two years out it is very uncommon to have continued problems that would be related to your surgery. I would see your initial surgeon for an evaluation and you may even need an ENT surgeon to perform a more thorough evaluation. If your cosmetic surgeon was an ENT then they can evaluate for you.

Congestion after rhinoplasty

+1

The bleeding in your nose and crusting is probably due to a raw area which has not completely healed.  You can use some antibacterial ointment with a Q-tip to promote healing.  Check with your doctor.

With your congestion it could just be excessive mucous which should subside.  If not, I would be concerned with some sinus issues.  Check with your MD

Talmage Raine MD FACS

dr@drraine.com

Nasal bleeding after rhinoplastry

+1

It is common to have some congestion and an increased propensity to nasal bleeding after rhinoplasty.  That being said, at two years most of these changes should subside.  I would recommend a follow up visit to your plastic surgeon to perform a detailed examination of the inside of your nose to make sure that these things on one side of your nose only are not the result of a fixable surgical problem.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.northtexasplasticsurgery.com/news/nose-job-revisions/

Nasal congestion following rhinoplasty

+1

Following rhinoplasty, nasal congestion is temporary and due to swelling. It usually starts to improve 2 weeks after surgery, and can take a bit longer depending on the patient. Issues 2 years after surgery are not due to your initial surgery, and an evaluation would be necessary to determine their cause and learn about potential treatment options. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Web reference: http://www.spaldingplasticsurgery.com/face/rhinoplasty/

Nasal congestion two years after rhinoplasty

+1

Initially I would say yes, that the nose may be more congested, but at two years I would say No, nad you probably need to be evaluated.  Good luck!

Congestion Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Elizabeth, this is not real common following rhinoplasty surgery. I would recommend getting another evaluation to see what might be the source for your ongoing complaints. 

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and while post-Rhinoplasty swelling can cause temporary nasal obstruction from the surgical trauma, this should not last beyond a few months IMHO.  If you have not developed nasal allergies, I'd suggest having the inside of your nose examined to rule out a bent septum or enlarged Inferior Turbinate as the cause of your unilateral nasal obstruction which is not a typical post Rhinoplasty effect at 2 years post-op.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com