Do I Have Tubular / Tuberous Deformity and Can It Be Fixed with Breast Implants? (photo)

I'm pretty sure that I have tubular breast deformity. I am 22 years old and I have always been very self-conscious about the way my breasts look. I want to feel beautiful in my own skin and right now I don't even feel comfortable taking my bra off in front of my very supportive long-term boyfriend. I have been considering breast implants for a long time and I would like to know if that would help my condition at all. I've been considering B/C size, saline, submuscular implants.

Very Minimal Tuberous Breast Easily Corrected with Breast Implants

+3

Thank you for your question. Your breasts are very near normal shape. There is a very slight constriction worse on the right Breast.

Breast Implants can easily achieve the shape that you want.

The key is to find a surgeon who is familiar with treating the Tubular Shaped Breast.

My view is that it is important to release the constricting bands from the inside through a sub glandular dissection.

In my experience a sub glandular Breast Augmentation will give you the best result.

Tubular Breast Augmentation

+1
Your breasts do appear slightly tubular, as there is slight constriction of your tissues near your areolae. To achieve a better breast contour, you may want to consider releasing the constricting tissue which can be performed at the same time as breast augmentation with your preferred implants. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Do I have tubular/tuberous breast deformity and can it be fixed with breast implants? (photo?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!   Given your photos, it appears that you have a very mild tuberous breast deformity, if any.  The standard procedure would be placement of an implant (or tissue expander, depending on the lower pole of your breast) as well as a circumareolar breast lift.  These modalities would correct the issues with tuberous breast: constricted breast at the inferior pole, via breast prosthetic; scoring of the tissue to release the bands; lowering the inframammary fold; correcting the herniation of breast tissue into the areolae; and decreasing the overall size of the areolae.  These are the hallmarks of tuberous breasts.  

Regardless, you could likely get great results with an implant and possible breast lift.  Implant type will be personal preference - discuss the various implants with your plastic surgeon.  Also, if, on examination, it does represent a true tuberous/constricted breast deformity, placing the implant below the glandular tissue of the breast will provide better results to stretch the constriction of the breast more effectively.  

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations.  S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires.  I would expect a very pleasing result for you!  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Mildly Tuberous Breasts

+1

The photos suggest a mild form of tubular breasts which can be improved with appropriate breast implants plus a periareolar mastopexy. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to review your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast implants

+1

Your breasts are only mildly tuberous. If you have implants alone, some of the tuberous nature of the breasts will still be present, but overall, I think you would het a nice result with the implants and not need additional work done.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

A bi-planar augmentation will correct your tubular breasts

+1
Based on your photos, you certainly show some of the classic characteristics of tuberous breasts.  The inferior pole is slightly constricted with a relatively short, base of the areola to infra-mammary fold distance.  What is most classic is the herniation of tissue into the retroareolar place.  This can certainly be corrected with a bi-planar augmentation to give great emphasis the lower pole.

What is even more important is a small periareolar mastopexy and debulking of retroareolar tissue.  One of the unfortunate side effects of a periareola mastopexy (Benelli) is that it can result in some flattening of the periareolar complex. In a case such as yours, this works to your benefit, in that it further helps diminish the protuberance of the nipple areola. 

In the hands of an experienced surgeon, for your problem you can expect and excellent and very pleasing result.

The link below is to a recent tuberous breast surgery patient of mine who shared her before & after photos on realself. Hope you find it helpful.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Do I Have Tubular / Tuberous Deformity and Can It Be Fixed with Breast Implants?

+1

Thanks for the posted photos. Yes you have a mild to moderate tuberous deformity. Just implantation alone will not correct you will need additional techniques to achieve a result that would be good. Seek in person examinations from boarded PSs in your area. 

Tuberous breasts

+1

It looks like fromt he photos that you have a midl form especially on the right.  This may require some tightening of the areola alon and /or scoring of the parenchyma when placing implants. An exam in person would be best. Good luck.

Tuberous Breasts

+1

Thanks for the question -

As the other experts have indicated your photos show elements of tuberous breasts (herniating tissue around areola and breast constriction).  There are multiple techniques that can be used to address this.  Much of what's right for you depends of the look you are trying to achieve.  Almost all techniques will require some release of the constricted tissue.

I hope this helps!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Tuberous breasts?

+1

From the photos you sent, I think you would do well with a subglandular placement of a gel-filled implant.  With this approach, expansion of any breast tissue constriction can be done easily.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon