Do I Have Tubular/hypoplastic Breasts?

I am 25. My breasts are set really wide apart and they are really small, admittedly I am quite thin. (5ft8, 118pounds). Having so much space between my breasts makes finding a bra v difficult. When I had more weight on, my breasts were also a lot more droopy. Do I have tubular breasts? Would you say I won't be able to breast feed or that there are negative/health implications apart from the obvious aesthetic un-appeal?

For the not tubular breast

+3

You are thin and your chest is broad, with a slight looseness to the skin, though otherwise your breasts, for better of worse, are quite normal. I would not call you unaesthetic. I would think that you will breast feed without difficulty, and will suffer no health impact from the shape or size of your breast. A little weight will help, as will a push-up bra. The 'real' term is tuberous or root like, not tubular, and you are far better than that.

peterejohnsonmd

Tubular breasts

+3

Sagging breasts do not equal tubular breasts. Tubular breast are more akin to a hernia under the nipple. Looking at your photos I do not note tuberous breasts.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Breast augmentation together with breast lift

+2

Your photo shows widely spaced breasts with distance between the nipples just under twice the normal range. That makes your nipples point to the forward obliques instead of straight forward. This is due to the shape of your rib cage in that the frontal midline part of the rib cage protrudes forward. The medical term for this is pectus carinatum. Interestingly the left side of the rib cage protrudes more than the right. You see this in the photo as a visible ridge at the bottom of the left rib cage. The surgery to correct the bone is major and the risk benefit ratio is likely unfavorable. If you just put in breast implants you will magnify this problem.

The solution would be some degree of breast lift designed to mostly move the nipples towards the midline a bit then you can place breast implants either at the same operation or a later operation. This will camouflage the problem but not complete get rid of it.

These are not tuberous breasts and there is nothing in the photo the indicate you would have a problem breast feeding.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Do I Have Tubular/hypoplastic Breasts?

+2

Thanks for posting a great frontal view. No, you do not have a tuberous or Snoppy Dog breast deformity. Best to see a boarded PS in your area to discuss all your issues. 

Tuberous vs hypoplastic breasts

+2

Hi,

You may find this hard to believe, but you are a normal. Just a bit saggy. This in no way represents a problem with ability to breast feed in the future.  Best wishes Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+2

There is wide variation in what is considered "normal" anatomy.  You have a broad chest and widely spaced breasts.  They are somewhat narrow, but within the "normal" range.  You do not have herniation of your breast tissue into your areolas which is one of the things that sets tuberous breasts apart from "normal" ones.  Overall the center  of your chest is more prominent although you do have a slight sternal hollow.  This makes your breasts look farther apart.  Breast augmentations will give you more volume and close a little of the gap between your breasts.  If the implants are not centered behind your nipples they may point outward more than they do now.   I would not do any lifting, yet although after you have children your breast may be more lax and need elevation.  Your chances of breast feeding are the same as any other "normally" shaped breasts.  You won't know what the milk production is until you have children.  I agree with you about bras: they are darned hard to get to fit right (sort of like jeans).  Keep trying until you find the right one and buy a lot of them.  Good luck.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Your breasts are not tubular.

+2

You are thin, small breasted and they are ptotic. An over the muscle augmentation with perhaps a small lift should help. But, they will not necessarily be closer together.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

You will need lift

+2
I do not see any thing that would imply tubular breasts. You will need to have lift because of the nipple position and the quality of the skin. Implant by itself will cause more sagging and very thinned out breast skin. After the lift , you may get breast implants to enlarge the breast.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

You do not have tubular breasts.

+2

Hi.

You seem to have a very straight forward problem.  Somewhat small breasts with not enough fullness on top, and the left breast appears slightly lager.

You should do very well with round, smooth walled, moderate plus profile silicone gel breast implants placed over the muscle.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Pectus excavatum

+2

To me it appears you have a mild form of pectus excavatum which is making  the breasts pushed apart. Mild to moderate pectus does not cause any symptoms. You have ptosis also. Subpectoral breast implants with breast lift will improve the apperanece of yout breasts. By dissecting the pocket more medially the set apart look can be improved but won't be corrected completely.

Raj Chowdary, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon