21 years old with small breasts, have not told future husband and feel guilty. Are they tubular? (photo)

Am 21 I had been thinking that I have small breasts..but after seeing this "tubular breasts" am afraid I have those....I ve a boyfriend and we are going to get married in a year...am guilty...he is a gem but still I feel so I insecure...I can't tell him that I look awful with clothes off

Do I Have Tubular Breasts?

+3

Thank you for the question and pictures. Although  I agree that your pictures do demonstrate many of the characteristics seen with tuberous/constricted breast, I do not agree with you that you look “awful” with your clothes off.

Some of the characteristics of tuberous breasts visible in your pictures include:the distance from the areola to inframammary folds seems to be tight and relatively short.  Your inframammary folds seem to be widely spaced from the midline of your chest. The areola do demonstrate some features associated with tubular breast such as  an increased width  and “puffiness”.

You will benefit from an in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of  their work helping patients in your situation. This consultation will allow for accurate advice that is best provided after a thorough history, physical  examination, and a detailed discussion of your goals. There are a lot of factors to consider when making recommendations; for example your life circumstances ( planned pregnancies, psychosocial situation…) and tolerance for scars  are  examples of factors that should be taken into consideration by you and your plastic surgeon.

There are many different ways to approach  your situation. Personally, I would suggest a sub muscular (dual plane) breast augmentation  approach through a infra areolar or circumareolar  Incision.  I think that this approach minimizes risk of postoperative complications in my hands. It also allows me to better “control” the work that needs to be done on the lower poles  of the breasts.  In regards to breast implant size/profile, it will be very importance to communicate your goals carefully with your plastic surgeon. I prefer the use of goal pictures  during this communication process. Show your plastic surgeon what you are trying to achieve, as well as what is too big or too small.  Careful  design dimensional planning ( measurements)  will be important to select the breast implant that will best achieve goals. For example, the breast implants should be wide enough to help improve the spacing between the breasts ( improved cleavage area).
I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.

Do I Have Tubular Breasts?

+2

Yes you have tuberous deformity with asymmetry and volume/shape differences. Best to see a boarded PS in your city in person. 

Tubular breasts

+2

do not make you who you are.  Your breast fall into that category with large areola and small bases, more so one side.  Its fixable to make them better but you will likely have a double bubble deformity on the bottom so you're trading one for another.  But before you jump at that, you need to communicate your concerns to your fiance and get his input.  What if he really finds implants awful?  And remember, he loves you for who you are and that is the bottom line.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tubular breasts, or tuberous breasts, at 18-24 years old

+1

You do in fact have the appearance of tuberous breasts, and believe it or not, it is way more common than you might think.  The good news is that there is help out there, as a very straightforward operation can totally change the appearance of the breasts, and your life, very reliably.  I typically place silicone gel implants, together with some internal relaxation of the tight breast tissues and a small tightening procedure for the areola to address the "puffiness," and that is very reliable for correcting this type of appearance.  It's not that you look awful with your clothes off; that is really not just for you to decide!  It's more that your breasts are not the shape that you would like, and in that case, it is reasonable to do something about it.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Tuberous breasts

+1

Yes, you appear to have tuberous (constricted) breasts. This particular breast shape can be improved with breast augmentation. Sometimes, a donut/circum-areolar type of incision is also needed to help flatten the nipple-areolar complex.

Janet Woodyard, MD

Tubular Breasts

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Based on the pictures you sent, it appears that you have mild tuberous breasts. This can be corrected with a breast augmentation with or without a circumareolar nipple reduction.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tubular breasts

+1

You do appear to have a mild case of tubular breasts.  All is not lost however as a good breast augmentation could significantly improve your situation.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Treatment for tuberous breasts

+1

You do have a mild tuberous breasts (conical shape).   To improve the shape of your breasts with a breast augmentation, I would likely recommend a breast augmentatation with a periareolar approach.  Through this approach, I could radially release the internal bands that contribute to the point shape of your breasts.   In addition, you may need a periareolar incision/scar to help flatten the point periareolar region down.  Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Treatment options for tubular (constricted) breasts

+1

You have a mild form of tubular breasts, something which we call a "partial constriction."  There are several types of available treatment, depending upon your desires.  If you wish to keep the same breast volume but simply correct the shape, then radial scoring of the undersurface of the breast tissue as well a "donut" resection of the widened areola skin can be of help.  If you would not mind some additional volume, then an implant can be added to the above and indeed it will help to preserve the shape.  There is also a new alternative in which your own fat is used to inject around the sides of the breast to help round it out. In essence, the additional fat is used to mask the original constricted shape.  Usually no implant is used. This is new and somewhat controversial amongst plastic surgeon -- so choose your surgeon carefully.

Elliot Jacobs, MD

New York City

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

Tubular breasts

+1

Based on the photos submitted; it appears as though you do have tubular breasts.  You should schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss surgical options that would be appropriate for you to achieve your desired results.

Richard A. D’Amico, MD, FACS
Englewood Plastic Surgeon