Age 30, former anorexic, 32D bra. Are my breasts tubular--what options do I have to achieve more normal looking breasts? (photo)

I began puberty at about 11yo but became anorexic and was significantly underweight (hospitalized, etc) from 13-20. I am now 30, of a normal, healthy weight, but my breasts have never become a "normal" shape. I wear a 32D bra, do not want my breasts any bigger (smaller would be fine), and am wondering a) if I have tubular breasts, b) if it could have been caused by the anorexia, c) what are my options for achieving more normal looking breasts.

Do I Have Tubular Breasts

+2

There are a number of features that define a tuberous (tubular) breast:

•Wide and puffy areolae

•widely spaced breasts

•high breast fold

•constricted lower pole (deficient tissue in lower half of the breast

•minimal breast tissue

•high breast fold

•narrow base of the breast

A number of these seem to be present. Since you have an adequate amount of breast tissue, the treatment is far simpler than for others with that diagnosis. A breast lift alone should give a nice improvement in the shape of your breasts. 

Do I Have Tubular Breasts?

+1

Your breasts have elements of constriction one greater than the other.  If you do not want more size, a full breast lift can give you a nice result.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tubular Breasts

+1

There are varying degrees of tubular breasts - high folds, constricted lower pole, prominent nipple-areola with breast tissue protruding through the NAC.  You have some of these characteristics but I certainly would not consider you a severe tubular breast but rather a forme fruste (attenuated) tubule breast.  It is very common - much more common than a severe tubular variety.  I would proceed with a modest augmentation and simultaneous mastopexy.  

Joshua A. Greenwald, MD

Tubular breasts

+1

Hi

a) Looking at the photos that you have downloaded you have breast ptosis with asymmetry and fortunately not tubular breasts. This makes corrective surgery much easier.

b) No this would not have been caused by anorexia.

c) The options available to you are:

1. Mastopexy (if you want to remain the same size) or
  2. Augmentation mastopexy, if you wish to be larger or if you have a deflated upper pole and need an implant to augment this section of your breast.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Ptotic breast

+1

Tuberous breast have a high infra-mammary fold as well as large nipple areola complex with breast tissue herniating through them. You have breast ptosis or sagging that require breast lifting and if wanted a small implant to obtain upper pole fullness. Anorexia should have not caused this.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Do I Have Tubular Breasts? (photo)

+1

You have breast ptosis (sagging) and asymmetry

You would benefit from a breast lift with some resection of breast tissue from your left breast to achieve symmetry

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

No Tubular Breast Deformity

+1

You do not have tubular breast deformity.  To improve your breast shape I would suggest an augmentation and a lift.  I do not believe that your anorexia contributed significantly to your breast shape.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tuberous breast question

+1

You do not have tuberous breasts. You will benefit from a breast lift first and then if you decide 3-6 months later that you want larger breasts implants can be placed. This plan is the most predictable way to give you a lasting result. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

+1

a) You do not have tuberous breasts.

b) Tuberous breasts began with a small problem in about the the middle of the first trimester of development.

c) You have asymmetrical ptotic breasts that need to be lifted and augmented.  Without the implants your left breast will need to be reduced to match your right one.  Either way you can have a very nice result.  Good luck.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Not typical tuberous breasts

+1

You don't have the usual look for tuberous breasts and since you have enough volume a breast lift can give you a nice result.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS