Tubular Breasts? (photo)

I am a 20 year old woman (5'10", 150 lbs) and I think I have tubular breasts. My breasts never developed past the age of 13 and they cause me a lot of embarrassment. As much as I want surgery to fix my breasts, I don't want breast augmentation. What I would like is to straighten my breasts and fix my underdeveloped nipples. Is it possible to achieve those results without breast augmentation?

Tuberous Breasts

+1

Any breasts that have an element of constriction or tuberous characteristics can be released and filled with either an implant or fat.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tubular or constricted breasts are best treated a sub glandular implants in release of the narrow base of the breast.

+1

Constricted breasts have a narrow base and can be treated by sub glandular placement of the implants. After the breast is elevated the connective tissue defining the diameter of the breast is released. The breast is draped over the breast implant innocence the diameter of that implant.

Tubular Breasts

+1

From your photos I agree that you have tubular breasts, with a contracted breast base and lower pole, widely spaced nipples with nipple areola herniation.  This is a difficult condition to correct easily but some form of breast augmentation generally gives good results.  If you don't want breast implants then fat grafting is another option.  You may need repeated procedures and there are some potential implications of fat grafting that you need to consider (theoretical risks of inducing a malignancy or making breast imaging difficult).

Dean Trotter, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting and areola reduction

+1

You would get better results with fat grafting and fixing the herination of the breast tissue through the areola. If your goal is more shape correction than breast enlargement, you will get better result with fat grafting. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tubular Breasts?

+1

You do exhibit some of the characteristics of tubular breast in that they are under developed, widely spaced with a deficient inferior pole. There is also mild herniation into the areolar complex. You can certainly be corrected with a periareolar augmentation and release of the lower pole. At the same time the areola can be debulked so that it sits flatter. This would make breast feeding unlikely, so you really need to consider whether to do it before or after children. 

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Do I Have Tubular Breasts.

+1

Yes, you have tubulal or tuberous breasts as well as a very curved chest skeleton underneath which makes you breasts look like they are pointing out to the sides.

If you don't want breast implants you could consider fat grafting,( in a series) of you breasts to make them more proportioned to your body. (You need some extra fat on your body somewhere to be the donor).  The chest curvature can't be changed, but placing more fat to the outer part of your breast than the inner will help make your breast more centered. 

The tight ring of skin at the base of your areola is responsible for the way your nipples look.  The fat grafting may make your areolas look better, but that may also improve with pregnancy and breast feeding.  At any rate it is the last thing to fix after your have achieved the size and shape of breast that you like.

Talk to a plastic surgeon with a special interest in fat grafting for a full consultation.  Good luck!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+1

All "conditions" come in a spectrum opf forms and you have a mild form of tuberous breasts.  Mostly though your breasts are underdeveloped.  Consequently, the most dramatic way to improve them would be with implants but maybe an in person consult with a plastic surgeon could devise something for the nipples alone.  I'd wait until after kids for that becasue anything there will likely make you unable to breast feed.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tubular Breasts?

+1

There are a number of features that define a tuberous breast:

•Wide and puffy areolae
•widely spaced breasts
•high breast fold
•constricted lower pole (deficient tissue in lower half of the breast
•minimal breast tissue
•high breast fold
•narrow base of the breast

Just about all of these findings are apparent in the enclosed photographs.this is a complex problem and it will be difficult to offer a comprehensive plan over the Internet. My suggestion would be to arrange one or more consultations with plastic surgeons in your area. Before rejecting or accepting any particular suggestions listen to all your options. 

The breasts can be enlarged with either implants were fat grafting and I feel that it would be difficult to give sufficient improvement without adding some volume. Part of any correction will involve surgery to the nipples and the areolas, And usually an attempt to make incisions into the breast tissue that is present to allow it to be spread out over a wider area.

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Options for tubular breasts

+1

In most cases, correction of tubular breasts involves the use of implants or fat grafting to augment the volume of the breast and help convert the breast mound from a conical shape to a more rounded shape.   Often, as part of this process, the under surface or base of the breast gland is scored to help the gland unfurl, widening the base of the breast.  Along with these procedures, a donut shape of skin is also removed around the areola to help flatten and/or reposition the nipples.  If you are only bothered by the nipple position, the donut mastopexy could be considered without the augmentation.   Ask your local surgeon if this would be a reasonable option in  your case.  Best wishes.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Mild form of tubular breasts

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  If you would like to improve the appearance of your breasts but not add any volume (either fat grafting or breast implants) you will need an areolaplasty and scorring of the lower pole of your breast to help release the tight breast tissue.  This will less effective without the addition of volume since the volume helps to push out the lower pole of the breast.  The areola can be made smaller if that is desired and the "puffiness" can also be corrected.  In terms of your nipples, if you feel that your nipples are too small these can be made bigger with a little far grafting or ADM (acellular dermal matrix).  From your photos, however, your nipple size seems to be appropriate.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD