Do I Have Tubular Breasts? What Surgery Would You Suggest? (photo)

I am unhappy with the look of my breasts. My right breast in smaller and both areola are large.

Tubular asymmetric breasts

+1

Hi,

Yes, you do have a tubular breast condition but not severe.  You need an asymmetric breast augmentation at the least but you need to decide if you want a modification of the areolas.  The amount of tissue difference would still be seen as a difference with the different size implants. 

So, one way to approach your case (and this would be my suggestion if you were my patient...if you were bothered by the areola issue) would be to do an areola reduction and with this, take some of the tissue out of the larger breast.  Reduce the areolas bilaterally and level them out.  Now, the tissue and areolas would then be equal bilaterally and this would  now allow you to have the same tissue amounts over the muscle. 

After this is done (and the same setting), through the periareolar incisions, place equal implants.  This now sets you up for equal breasts over and under the muscle and over time, they will mature equally.

Hope this helps.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

A breast augmentation with minor adjustments for symmetry is likely your best option.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

A breast augmentation with minor adjustments for symmetry is likely your best option.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

+1

Tubular Breasts are described by 3 findings on physical examination, 1. High riding breast crease, 2. Constricted lower breast skin, and 3. Protrusion of breast tissue into the areola making them look very puffy. You do have a constricted lower breast, the breast below the nipple areolar complexes, and a short distance form the nipple to the fold. I do not appreciate that your folds are high riding or that you have the classic puffiness with tissue herniated into the areolas. You do have uneven areolas and slight different size and shape to your breasts. I think a breast augmentation with some techniques we use to loosen the lower breast constriction will give you a great results. You may or may note need additional scars to decrease the size of the areola. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon for final decisions. I hope this helps you.

Do I have tubular breasts?

+1

You have a mild form of constricted (or tubular) breasts...in that the areolae are large and the distance from the areola to the inframammary crease is short and therefore the lower pole of the breast is "constricted".  There are other aspects to the tubular or constricted breast deformity that you do not have.  Breast augmentation will help reshape your breasts, but your inframammary creases need to be lowered or otherwise the implants (the bottom of which is at the level of the folds) would ride too high and the nipples would be downpointing.  You would not need a lift unless you wanted your areolae to be smaller and closer to each other in size, in which case a periareolar lift with the scar just around the areola could be performed. Implants of different sizes would be used to give you better symmetry of size.

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-surgery.html

Tuberous breasts?

+1

It does not look like you have tuberous breasts based on the photos. An augmentation may help with the asymmetry but if you are unhappy with the areola size, that could be addressed as well.

Breast augmentation

+1

It looks like a standard breast augmentation with slightly different sized implants in each breast would be appropriate possibly with medial crescent mastopexies to redirect the diverging nipples.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Do I have Tubular Breasts?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

If anything, I would  agree that your breasts demonstrate a mild variation of breast constriction (tubular)  “deformity”. For example, the distance from the areola to inframammary folds are relatively short and the inframammary fold “take off” sits relatively laterally on your chest wall.  Your areola are relatively large for your breast size although I do not appreciate any “puffiness" ( or “herniation” of breast tissues through the areola).

I would suggest a straightforward breast augmentation procedure for you;  I do not think that your procedure will necessarily be any more complex than if you did not have a mild variation of constrictive/tubular breasts.

You may find the attached link ( demonstrating a variety of constricted breasts) helpful.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tubularbreasts.htm

Tubular Breast Deformity

+1

In my opinion you have a mild form of tubular breast deformity due to the constriction of the lower portion of the breast.  I would recommend a periareolar approach softening of the tight breast tissue and a saline implants below the muscle.  Saline implants can be filled to different sizes to bring about more symmetry to your breasts.

Dr. ES

Tubular breasts is not an all or none phenomenon

+1

Tubular breast deformity is caused by a high and tight breast fold.  Because of this there can be grades or severity or tubular breast deformity.  In most instanced, a tubular breast deformity patient has very high and very tight breast folds distorting the breast shape.  From your photos I would not necessarily place you in the category.  Could you have a very mild form--possibly, but that would not really impact the way your breasts would be treated during an augmentation for example.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/plastic-surgery/breast-enhancement.cfm