Tubular Breasts? What Implant Shape Should I Have? Will I Need Anything else to Change the Shape? (photo)

I'm 21 and have been told my breasts are tubular. I've been to see 2 different plastic surgeons who have told me different things. I basically want to know if just an implant will correct the shape or if I would need any internal incisions? Also, what sort of implant would be better for correcting the shape? I also hate the puffiness of my nipples, would an implant fix this or would I need anything doing with my nipples? Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

+2

The implant and the breast augmentation with pocket dissection can help to correct the shape of the breast.  If you want the puffiness of the areola addressed, this herniated tissue will have to be sutured to tighten it.  Typically, this involves an incision around the areola.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tuberous breasts

+2

Based solely on your photos, I would use an implant and put a permanent suture internally around the border of the areola.

Tubular Breasts and Breast Augmentation

+2

Yes I agree that you have elements of tuberous breasts.  I would recommend communication with your surgeon about the nipples in particular since some surgeons choose to not address this area during an augmentation.  However, for complete correction it appears you need a periareolar mastopexy to release the constricted band of tissue causing the puffiness of the nipples.  Also, I generally favor round implants as opposed to shaped implants for patients with tuberous breasts.  These can be placed through the periareolar incision as well.

Eric Egozi, MD

Tubular Breast Considerations?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.
Yes, I think your breasts do demonstrate some of the characteristics seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts.  There are lots of variations of tuberous breasts.
Some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).  

Generally,  correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper breast implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern,  you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery.  Exactly what operation would help you will depend on a full communication of your goals. Based on  your question and pictures provided,  a breast augmentation as well as an areolar skin/tissue  reduction  will serve to significantly improve the shape/contour of your breasts.    

You may find the attached link helpful.

Tubular breast options

+1
I believe you may get a nice improvement with implants only.  Because your skin is tight, I would delay the lift for now with the likely outcome that our nipples will be less puffy and more proportional with an implant behind them. Good luck.

David Stoker, MD

?Tubular breasts?

+1

There are a number of features that define a tuberous breast:

•Wide and puffy areolae

•widely spaced breasts

•high breast fold

•constricted lower pole (deficient tissue in lower half of the breast

•minimal breast tissue

•high breast fold

•narrow base of the breast

The sole finding among these that I can see in the photos is the puffy areolas. I do also note that the areolas are not symmetric

Assuming that you wish to be larger, I would choose smooth round silicone implants, under the muscle, and would do periareolar incisions to reduce the puffiness and to move the right areola to a better position. Breast shape itself appears normal, not in need of internal manipulation. 

All the best. 

Surgical options for breast augmentation with tubular breast deformity

+1

Hello 'Boobs1234', thanks for your question.  After reviewing your images, I do not think you have tubular breast deformity, which is a condition characterized by a constricted lower breast pole, short nipple-to-inframammary fold distance, and pseudoherniation of the breast tissue through this constricted base.  Although prominent nipple-areolar complex as you have is also a part of this deformity, that alone would not be sufficient to place you into that category.  Thus, I think that you would benefit from a standard breast augmentation using a smooth, round implant to fill your breast envelope symmetrically.  Any such surgery will entail internal incisions and dissection to allow maximal contouring of your breast tissue over the new implants.  Unfortunately, FYI- any augmentation will make your nipples MORE prominent.  One way to address this would be to perform your augmentation through a periareolar incision which can simultaneously allow a nipple-areolar complex reduction.  I recommend consulting with your local board-certified plastic surgeon who will be able to perform a thorough examination and address your concerns appropriately.  Best of luck to you!

-Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon