Do I Have Tubular Breasts? And What Surgery to Improve Shape?

I am very self conscious of my large areola and sagging breasts. I am only 18 years old and they have been this way essentially since puberty. The bases of my breasts are far apart, and my areola are about 2 1/2 inches wide and located near the bottom of my breasts with relatively flat nipples. I wear a 34C. I would think that a lift would be appropriate, but is areola reduction an extra cost?

Best lift for drooping breasts

+1

Dear Insecure,

Don't be! Plastic surgery techniques to improve oddly shaped breasts has improved tremendously over the years. Unfortunately, without photos it is impossible to give you solid advice. Please consider re-submitting your question with photos. If you truly need a lift, then there should be no extra cost for reducing areolas. Research the Ultimate Breast Lift. This technique lifts and reshapes breasts with minimal scarring. No Vertical Scar.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast drooping at age 18

+1

It can seem quite unfair, but some individuals can inherit a drooping breast with a nipple close to or below the breast fold. What you describe is not a tuberous breast. The correction however might require a lift with areolar reduction. Start with a consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Do I have tuberous breasts?

+1

Usually, with a tuberous breast there is a distinctive shape to the nipple-areolar complex, with the majority of the breast tissue being concentrated in a dome shape, right behind the areolar area.  We refer to this as "herniation" of the breast tissue.  

Without a photo or physical exam, this is difficult to say whether you have a tuberous breast, or whether your breast situation is more straightforward, with normal, but droopy, shape.

Both situations benefit from reduction of the areolar size and breast lift.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Breasts

+1

It sounds like you would like your breasts to be perkier. Getting a lift and a possible modest implant to give you superior fullness would defenetly do that for you.Getting a Areola reduction can be done with that wether its going to be more of cost, depends to what surgeon you go to. Every practice is different, and a lift or areola reduction can improve the tubular breasts, if thats what you really have. You would have to be examed by your surgeon to determine that.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Tubular breast deformity

+1

Thanks for your question and your detailed description of your breasts, but without a picture it is impossible to comment fairly. If you do have tubular breasts, make sure you see a board certified surgeon with good experience with treating tubular breasts to discuss your options.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Tuberous breast issues

+1

Without photos and an exam, it is impossible to tell from your description whether or not you have components of a tuberous breast.

Tubular breast

+1

Your description does have a few characteristics of some one that may have tubular breast but with out a picture and a proper physical exam it is almost impossible to tell.

Tubular breast have a few common characteristics such as a high infra mammary fold with a constricted lower pole of the breast as well as large size areola with much of the breast tissue protruding through the large size areola. The breast appear to sag and have a tubular shape to them. It is noticed at puberty when the breast are developing.

Most are treated with a augmentation as well as a peri areolar mastopexy (breast lift with incision around the nipple) as well as radial scoring of the breast tissue to allow expansion of the lower pole of the breast.

Wish you best of luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Breast type and appropriate surgery

+1

Although you gave a detailed description of your breast; a photo and clinical examination would be the appropriate way to address your concerns and decide on type of surgery. In general, tuberous breast comes in different varieties, mild or some tuberous feature to a very constricted breast base and wide areola. You need to see a board certified plastic surgeon and see before and after photos of patients with similar features and then you and your surgeon can arrive to an appropriate treatment plan.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Tuberous Breasts?

+1

Unfortunately,  despite the good description you provide, it is not possible to give you good advice and/or make a diagnosis without direct examination or viewing pictures.

Some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" and areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).  

Generally,  correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a more complete breast lift may also be necessary.  In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The patient should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that they will need to be patient and that revisionary surgery is more likely than in patients who do not present with tuberous (constricted) breasts.

In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern,  you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery. This would best be done when you are ( and you may already be there)  close to your long-term stable weight.  

When you are ready, please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who have significant experience with this type of surgery.I hope this helps.