I Have Tubular Breasts and Got a Mastopexy and Silicone Implants, What Happens if I Remove Them? (photo)

In 2007, I got a mastopexy with silicone implants because I had tubular breasts. I'm having a weird sensation in my left breast...it's an achey pain. I'm looking into getting an MRI to determine if there's an implant rupture. If I decide to have an explant without replacement, what will my breasts look like? If there was a lift before the surgery, will they be a more normal breast shape or still tubular? Will the skin be stretchy? I'm more concerned about shape rather than size. Thanks! :)

Breast implant removal

+1

based on your prep photos, it does not appear that you had a tuberous breast, but rather large areola. AS for post-op how they would look with removal of implants, they would look similar to your preops.

Implants are not essential for the correction of tubular breasts.

+1

Hi.

You have a nice result.  If implants are removed, you may need a touch up breast lift, but tubular shape should not come back.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tubular breasts and breast implant removal

+1

The size of your areola relative to your breast volume in addition to the amount of skin laxity will determine how well your breasts will look after mastopexy.  If the proportions are off in terms of areolar width to breast width, you will likely benefit from an areolar reduction. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Implant removal and the shape after surgery has everything to do with the amount of breast tissue you have

+1

Implant removal without replacement causes the breast skin envelope to appear saggy.  It is as if you took the air out of a balloon that won't snap back and shrink.  Often, a lift of some kind is required.  But, the shape that you get after a lift is done has everything to do with how much breast tissue you have.  If you have little or no breast tissue, you can be completely flat and the shape will be very much distorted.  On the other hand, if you have lots of your own breast tissue, a nice shape can be molded even without an implant.  If a patient has little or no breast tissue, she has to be prepared for going from filling out her bra before surgery to having nothing and perhaps even having wrinkling or indentations on her chest.  This is why I highly recommend that you exchange out an implant with another implant if you have little or no breast tissue.  If you have tubular breasts, you will still have a tubular appearance after removing the  implants, most likely.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon