I am a 32 yr old female. Never had kids. I HATE how my breasts are shaped. Do I Have Tubular Breast Deformity? (photo)

I am a 32 yr old female. Never had kids. I HATE how my breasts are shaped. I started developing at around age 10 but they stopped growing soon after and seemed to have never finished developing. The areola are puffy/raised and sit on top of very small, conical shaped, droopy breasts. I have been doing research and looking at photos and I believe I have tubular breast deformity. Please tell me if I do. If not, what is wrong with them why they never finished growing? Can taking hormones help?

Tuberous or Tubular Breasts

Well, yes. Absolutely. Tubular breast augmentation patients are some of the happiest breast augmentation patients in my practice. They go from feeling extremely self-conscious about their breast appearance preoperatively, to feeling absolutely great about their breast appearance post-operatively. Now to get a full, beautiful, natural looking result in a patient who is starting with tubular breasts, it really requires thoughtful pre-operative assessment and planning, careful implant selection, and the utmost attention to detail in the operating room. There are a number of important things that need to be accomplished when transforming a tubular breast into an aesthetically beautiful breast. Number one, all of these patients require lowering of the inframammary folds. In concert with inframammary fold lowering is expansion of the lower pole so that the skin envelope will accommodate the volume of the breast implant in the lower pole. Implant selection is important, and so is radial scoring of the under surface of the breast so that natural breast tissue will expand over the breast implant in a natural way. Lastly, structural fat grafting really helps to provide missing contour in the lower pole, and helps to blend the transition from natural breast tissue to implant contour. A new implant that is available, is the shaped-form stable breast implant, just FDA approved in the last one to two years. These implants have a point of maximal projection that’s lower than a round implant. These will provide a beautiful really natural appearing lower pole in patients who are starting with a tubular breast. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast hypoplasia with constriction - options

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo. Based on your photograph, it appears that your breast are constricted and not allowing the lower aspect of your breast to fully develop. Breast surgery is an option to help reshape the breast and release some of the constrictions. An implant and breast lift may also help reshape the breasts as well. I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss the different operative techniques and options with you.

Do I have a tubular breast deformity?

Thank you for your question!   Given your photos, it does appear that you have a mild tuberous breast/constricted breast deformity.  The standard procedure would be placement of an implant (or tissue expander, depending on the lower pole of your breast) as well as a circumareolar breast lift.  These modalities would correct the issues with tuberous breast: constricted breast at the inferior pole, via breast prosthetic; scoring of the tissue to release the bands; lowering the inframammary fold; correcting the herniation of breast tissue into the areolae; and decreasing the overall size of the areolae.  These are the hallmarks of tuberous breasts.  You could likely get great results with an implant and possible breast lift.

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations.  S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires.  I would expect a very pleasing result for you!  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Tuberous Breasts And The Benelli Mastopexy With Implants

You have the FORM FRUST of tuberous breasts.  This means your tuberous breasts are incomplete for the full blown anomalad, but you have several of the unique characteristics. Your puffy nipples are because your breast tissue has herniated through the weak basement membrane of your nipple areolar complex, and this can be pushed back by reducing the size of the areola.  You can move the nipples up on your breast mound using the Benelli or circumareolar mastopexy, and placement of a subpectoral implant can give you fullness and some lift.  I have done this operation several times specifically for tuberous breasts with minimal scarring and very satisfied patients. 

Now it is time for you to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area who has experience with tuberous breasts and the Benelli mastopexy.

Right conclusion, a mild tuberous breast

You are correct, you do have a mild tuberous (not tubular) breast shape with a prominence and puffy apprearance to the nipple and constricted skin envelope. Hormones will not help, and your breast is normal in every other way including breast feeding. Surgery can improve the shape if you are really discouraged.

Do I Have Tubular Breast Deformity?

Thanks for the question and the photos. It does appear that you have a very mild form of the tubular breast deformity. It is not all imaginable how hormones could help this.

Surgery, however, can. A breast augmentation of modest size and a breast lift should give you a far more normal appearance. 

Find a plastic surgeon for consultation to discuss the options that are available to you.

Do I Have Tubular Breast Deformity?

Yes you have a grade I tuberous deformity. Only surgery can improve. I recommend small implants with inferior pole enhanced fat grafts. 

Tuberous breasts

It does appear that you have a slight tuberous deformity. An implant and periareola reductin will help improve the appearance.

Tubular Breasts

Thank you for the pictures.  It does appear your have a mild form of tubular breasts with the right breast being a little more obvious due to the pinched appearance of the inframamary fold.  The besy way to change the shape of your breast is to do a breast augmentation with a periareolar mastopexy.  This type of lift will decrease the size and your areolas and give you an excellent results. I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel 

Yes, you have tubular breasts but that can be fixed you can get breast augmentation with a lift to help shape your breast to your liking. Taking hormone will not change the size or shape of your breast. You should see a Well Certified Plastic Surgeon to review your options.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS