Tubal Ligation, Gastric Bypass and Pregnancy

I had my tubes cut, tied and burnt in 1999 from the birth of my daughter. I recently had roux n y surgery in March 2009. Can I get pregnant?

Pregnancy after Gastric Bypass Surgery

+1

If you had a tubal ligation in the past then you will be unable to get pregnant after a gastric bypass. Gastric bypass surgery does improve infertility due to hormonal changes in the body. You have to wait at least one year after bariatric surgery to get pregnant because you cannot support a fetus with massive weight loss. If you would like to get pregnant again you have to go to a gynecologist to reverse the tubal ligation.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Pregnancy after GBP

+1

If your tubes are tied they will stay tied.  The bypass is unrelated.  Obesity is a common cause for infertility.  This is typically reversed after surgery and weight loss.  However, I recommend waiting at least 1 year after weight loss surgery prior to getting pregnant.

David Thoman, MD
Santa Barbara Bariatric Surgeon