Do I Have Tuberous Breasts, and is There Any Way to Avoid Mastopexy? (photo)

I'm quite confused about this issue. I don't know whether I have tuberous breasts - I suspect I do. If so, how difficult would it be to correct this? I would prefer to avoid mastopexy if possible, as I have not yet had children. My pictures aren't the clearest (the camera on my computer isn't great), but any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Breast implants and tuberous breasts

+2

Dear Rosaleen,

from the photograph I would agree that you have a mild degree of tuberous breasts. The surgical solution would depend on what you would like to change, what you consider a good attractive breast and to which extent you are prepared to go. In order to correct the constricted lower pole and the lack of fullness I would suggest an anatomical implant with a muscle split technique (which would also give you the optical effect of an uplift). This would however not correct the size of the areolas - but still give you a satisfactory result. Should you also dislike the stretched look of the areolas, an areola reduction combined with the augmentation will address both aspects. I hope this helps.

All the best

Andrea Marando

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Solutions for Rosaleen's narrow, asymmetric breasts

+2

Hi Rosaleen,

Your confusion is well deserved- but I have some suggestions that will lead you to better clarity on treatment options, because there is almost always more than one.  Make it your priority to define what your goal is and then plan to educate yourself enough so that you can make an informed decision about your choice.  As a woman, I can give you some tips:

1.  what do you want your breasts to look like??  Example:  more volume?

seated higher on your chest?  Both?

2.  are you planning on having children in the near future?  Do you want to breast feed?

3.  are you at a stable weight?  what is your bra size now?

4.  how old are you?

Your answers to these questions as well as a physical examination will quickly reveal your choices.  

A breast lift will reposition your breasts, lead to more symmetry and most likely reduce the volume a little bit because some loose skin will be removed.  There are a variety of incision selections which be tailored to your goals and the compromises you are willing to make to achieve your goal result.

A breast implant will add volume to your breasts but the position of your breasts will be unchanged.

A combination breast lift and implant can accomplish both and depending on the implant size, may reduce the extent of the incisions.  

KEEP IN MIND that "nothing lasts forever" and nearly 50% of the time, a young woman will sometime in the future do a secondary procedure due to the changes we all experience with aging, birth of our children, changes in body weight.

So, in the meantime, seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon and look for a woman who can relate to your special circumstances.

Thank you, Dr. Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts?

+2

I do not think that you have a tuberous breast deformity.  If you want larger breasts, implants should do the trick.

Correction of mild tuberous/constricted breasts

+2

You have a mild form of tuberous breast, also called constricted breast (yes the term is synonymous), characterized by wide cleavage, large areolae, and a short distance from the inferior mammary crease to the bottom of the nipple. No one will guarantee breast feeding after any procedure - indeed, 1/3 of all woman can't breast feed at all who have not had any surgery. However, if you had an intra-areolar lift (this just reduces the areolae size and the scar is in the areolar pigment), and a small augmentation to fill out the hollowed out part at the top of the breast, you would look great, with minimal disruption to the breast tissue.

Lisa B. Cassileth, MD

Tuberous breasts

+1

There are a number of features that define a tuberous breast:
•Wide and puffy areolae
•widely spaced breasts
•high breast fold
•constricted lower pole (deficient tissue in lower half of the breast
•minimal breast tissue
•high breast fold
•narrow base of the breast

Many of these findings are present, albeit in a mild form, on the photos you have posted. Mastopexy is at the heart of any correction. Implants without a lift can exaggerate some of the features. If your breast size is satisfactory, a lift alone will be in order. If you wish to be larger, implants and a lift will be suggested. This is one of the more complex breast problems, and hard to discuss without an in person exam.

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Tuberous Breasts?

+1

You do not have a true tuberous breast deformity, but you do have breast asymmetry as all women do.  Breast augmentation could be pursued if inclined.  Discuss what you would like performed with your board certified plastic surgeon.

You will first want to decide what you want your breasts to look like

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  Consricted breast deformity is an overtly elevated breast fold, a narrow breast diameter, and herniated breast tissue at the areola with a large puffy areola.  The definition of constricted breast deformity is important because when severe it outlines what needs to be done surgically to correct it.  When the deformity is very mild the definition is not that critical to identify.  In your case, a breast augmentation will increase your breast volume and upper pole volume.  If you would like your areola size reduced and raised you will have to also get a purse-string areolaplasty and if you would like the lower pole of your breasts to be tightened you will need a breast lift.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tuberous breasts?

+1

Thanks for your question. I do not think you have tuberous breasts though the base of your breasts are a little constricted (tight/narrow). Your areolas are a little large and nipples low for the general shape so I would recommend a lift with or without and implant. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Correction of Tuberous Breasts Without a Mastopexy

+1

Good Morning Rosaleen and thank you for your question and accompanying photos (always helpful!).  You appear to have elongated breasts (rather than round), but not necessarily tubular.  Depending on your specific aesthetic goals, you have many options.

A breast augmentation alone through a small incision will give you more fullness, raise the breast a bit and allow you to avoid any additional scars associated with a lift.  If you want to reduce the size of your areolae (which will stretch with the implants) a circumareolar lift (the scar goes only around the areola) will accomplish this and lift them as well. 

Your concern about future pregnancy is very important.  Breast feeding and nipple sensation can be affected by any breast surgery, but certainly more likely with the breast lift and it's additional scars.  Define your goals and then meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can guide you in making the best decision!!!!!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Correcting tuberous breast with a periareolar mastopexy + dual plane augmentation

+1

Thanks for the question Rosaleen. Based on your photos, you do show some of the characteristic signs of mild tuberous breast deformity.  Your breasts themselves are slightly narrow and the nipple/areola a bit large.  The infra-mammary crease sits somewhat higher and would need to be released and lowered to give more lower pole exposure. 

I do not feel that you would be completely satisfied with an augmentation alone and would therefore recommend a dual plane augmentation to lower the infra-mammary crease and a peri-areola mastopexy to better position the nipple-areola and to make it smaller.

See link below for before & after photos of a tuberous breast case that features breasts similar to your own (especially your right breast).

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon