Do I Have Tuberous Breasts? How Can they be Corrected? (photo)

Do i have tuberous breasts and if so how can they be corrected.

Do I Have Tuberous Breasts? How Can they be Corrected?

+2

Yes, you do have tuberous breasts, which may present in a variety of ways but usually includes a lower, larger areola, a higher tighter crease, a narrow-based breast with a short distance between areola and crease and a wide distance between the breasts, and sometimes a protruding or bulgy areola. The best treatment would be breast augmentation, and special techniques are used to reshape the breast including lowering your high inframammary crease so that there is an adequate distance from the areola to the crease, releasing any constricting bands in the lower pole of your breast to allow it to expand under the influence of the implant, etc.  You may or may not need a periareolar lift in order to elevate or at least reduce the areolas and tighten them up a bit, depending on your exam.  If you go to a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in dealing with tuberous breasts, then you should be able to get a nice correction.

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-surgery.html

Are these Tubular Breasts?

+1

In short, yes. You do demonstrate a form of tubular or constricted breast syndrome. The good news is that they are not too severe in nature and you have very limited herniation of the areola.  This is good for you in that a periareolar breast augmentation with either saline adjustable implants or silicone form stable implants would do well to improve the roundness, symmetry and size of your breasts. You will look great with the properly performed surgical procedure, so make sure you see a qualified surgeon. Good luck.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+1

Well - there are various degrees of tuberous breasts, from mild to severe.  Yours does appear to be a little bit tuberous.  This can be nicely improved with an implant together with a periareolar breast lift.  Although you have slightly different volumes, my experience with using slightly different implant sizes (more on your smaller side) has been quite positive for mild asymmetries.

All the best!

Tuberous breasts

+1

Yes, you do have a form of tuberous breasts.  My personal approach to this is to use a periareolar mastopexy, and a saline implant under the muscle that can be expanded and adjusted for several months after surgery.  That way, the shape is better, the areolar size is controlled, and the lower poles can be stretched and the size determined with your input.

+1

it appears you do and I usually treat this with a combination of implants and surgical treatment of the breast tissue. I usually prefer to reduce the volume of the larger breast and then use similar size implants to achieve symmetry. I have found that when I try to just make up the size difference with implants, they just seem too different...

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Do I Have Tuberous Breasts?

+1

Yes, your breast to demonstrate some of the characteristics seen with tuberous (constricted) breast.
For “minor” tuberous breasts correction options very. Sometimes it is possible to  use breast implants only without an incision around the areola;  patients  potentially will contain to have a “puffy” areola appearance.In other cases of “minor” tuberous breast  anomaly,  breast augmentation and circumareola reduction may be selected as the operation of choice. Which operation the patient chooses will depend on the aesthetic result they are looking for.

Generally, some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" and areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).  
Generally,  correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.
In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a more complete breast lift may also be necessary.  In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The patient should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that they will need to be patient and that revisionary surgery is more likely than in patients who do not present with tuberous (constricted) breasts.

When you are ready, please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who have significant experience with this type of surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tubularbreasts.htm

Tubular breasts

+1

Your posted photo shows some tuberous breast qualities. More importantly the breasts are quite asymmetric with the right larger than the left, the overall shape of the 2 breasts is different and the nipples are not at symmetric points. Just putting in 2 breast implants will not correct these asymmetries and may make them more visible. You will need some surgical manipulation of the breasts at the time of augmentation in order to achieve a more symmetric result.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

The Preferred Way To Treat Tuberous Breasts

+1

...is with fat transplantation using your own natural fat. 

It is simply the best way to shape the breast and to release

constrictions.  See before and after examples of tuberous and

constricted breasts at our site:

Dan Del Vecchio

Web reference: http://www.bostonbreastcenter.org/before--after-gallery.html

Maybe tuberous, an augmentation will help

+1

The tuberous breast has a constricted skin envelope and tight fold, and the skin constriction extends to the nipple causing the nipple to mushroom forward or herniate. You are not quite there but close. A breast augmentation will expand the breast envelope and improve your look greatly.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Correcting Tuberous Breasts

+1

The tubular breast is generally marked by these three main characteristics:

1. a small breast base perimeter (constricted breast base) - a small breast can have a constricted base without being a tubular breast
  2. a large areola in relation to the amount of breast tissue - in some cases it can appear as if the entire amount of breast tissue is behind the areola (nipple)
  3. the breast tissue tends to hang over the constricted base - so you may have a breast that hangs even though it's small

Correcting a tubular breast must address all three of those components. I generally prefer a moderate profile implant to enlarge the perimeter of the breast. The moderate profile implant (compared to a high profile implant of the same size) has a wider base. Reducing the size of the areola since as the entire breast skin stretches to accommodate the implant, the areola will expand, too. And altering the gland tissue so there is no visible step off between it and the implant.

Be sure to discuss your specific situation and all of your options during your consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. There is no accepted general consensus on how to “fix” a tuberous breast, which means no single approach works well for everybody.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurg.net/blog/2009/04/09/tubular-tuberous-breast-shape-how-to-correct-with-implants/