20-year-old with triangular shaped breasts. Are they tuberous and would an augmentation help? (photo)

Hi, I'm 20 years old and my breasts haven't changed since I was 13, I always thought my breasts would grow and change shape however they've always had this triangular shape. I was wondering if maybe they are tuberous and if breast augmentation would improve the look of them? Thank you

Correcting mild tuberous breasts

+1

On reviewing your photos, you do show some of the characteristics of mild tuberous breasts deformity.  A bit more so on the left breast than the right. 

Your breasts are narrow with a relatively short nipple to infra-mammary fold distance resulting in a somewhat tight lower pole.  Your nipple areola, although not herniated, are somewhat wider than ideal. 

That being said, it is relatively easy to correct your situation with a peri-areolar mastopexy, release of the lower pole and a dual-plane augmentation.  This would create more of a mound in the lower portion on the breasts and elevate the nipple/areola slightly.  At the same time it would make your nipple-areola smaller. 

The only proviso I have is to find a surgeon with whom you are comfortable and who has extensive experience correcting breasts similar to your own.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

+1

There is a large variation in tuberous breasts. You have some of the characteristics such as a narrow base width, I don't believe your areola are excessively large. .  I think you have nicely shaped breasts and would do well with a simple augmentation.  The implant will expand your base width and fill the space a little between your breasts.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts & Breast Augmentation

+1

Thanks for sending photos.  It does look like you have tuberous breasts and yes, a breast augmentation should improve the appearance of them & give you a nice result.  You may want to consider reducing your areolas for the best result, but you can determine that with a physical exam with your surgeon.  Best of luck!

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast diagnosis is irrelevant

+1

Your photographs show your breasts are too low and too far apart with inadequate cleavage.  You would benefit from breast lifting alone, if you do not desire implants.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to lift your breasts higher to create upper pole fullness, more medial to increase your cleavage and reshape them to increase your projection.  If you are dissatisfied with your cup size, implants can be placed at the same time.  At age 20, only saline implants can be used.  Whether the breasts are tuberous or not is irrelevant, your goal is to achieve beautiful breasts.  This can be done using The Mini Utlimate Breast Lift or combined with implants, if you wanted larger volume.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - tuberous breasts

+1

You have a mild form of tuberous breast deformity.  Correctly done breast augmentation with some internal releases of tissues of the breast will produce a wonderful outcome if you want larger breasts too.  Choose your board certified plastic surgeon carefully and insist on seeing a few outcomes of previously treated tuberous breast patients.  Best Wishes!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Tuberous Breast Deformity

+1

Yes, from the looks of it you do have an element of tuberous breast deformity. There are definately surgical interventions that can be done to help improve the aesthetic appearance. Generally, based soley on age, saline implants would have to be utilized for the augmentation. As I am sure you are aware of there are current FDA limitations on the age of implantation for the silicone gel implants. To help address the areola size, you might be a candidate for a periareolar mastopexy (or lift) as well. Definately set up a consultation with an experienced board certified surgeon who has a history of augmentation with this congenital deformity, as he/she will be best suited to handle the situation.

I hope this helps you and good luck

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS

Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Plastic Surgery

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Tuberous breasts and breast augmentation

+1

Hello. Judging by your pictures I would say that you do have tuberous breasts. The good news is that they could be greatly improved with a breast augmentation. An experienced surgeon would use a sizer to help determine how to correct your breasts before placing the implant, and give you the fuller more rounded look you seem to want. Good luck!

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Tuberous Breasts #breastimplants

+1

Thank you for your question. I would not classify you as having tuberous breasts, but this is difficult to really comment on without a physical exam. Common features of tuberous breasts are one:  high riding breast crease, two:  constricted lower pole of the breast, and three:  herniation of tissue into the areola. There are many women with some of these features but not all. You do seem to have a tight lower breast. I think if you choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you know and trust you should have an excellent result with breast augmentation.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Tuberous breasts

+1

You do have tuberous breasts.  This can be corrected with subglandular implants and circumareolar mastopexy.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Board Certified Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Tuberous breasts?

+1

Like so many things in life, there can often be a "grey" area.  Tuberous breasts can be a spectrum, from very mild cases to very significant cases.  In your situation, you likely have a mild degree of tuberous breasts.  The lower part of the breast appears to be somewhat "tight" or constricted.  You do not appear to have much bulging of the breast tissue under the nipple and areola which is another common feature.  In any event, if you are unhappy with the shape of your breasts, a visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area can be helpful.  You can go over the surgical options to give you a fuller profile.  Good luck!

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon