28-year-old with small, assymetrical breasts--do I have tuberous breast deformity? (photo)

Dear doctors, I'm 28 years old and I've always been self conscious of my small breasts. Searching for information about breast augmentation I found info about tuberous breasts and I'm wondering if I have this deformity.I have never had any children.My nipples are swollen and the areola is protruding whenever I take a warm shower but when it's colder they seem normal to me.I think that there's also a slight asymmetry and they're wide spaced.What do you think? Thank you very much for your help!

Breast asymmetry

+3

Thank you for the questions and the photos. You do not have tubular breast. Your breast asymmetry can be improved with breast augmentation. your left breast ahas a more tear drop shape and the right side is more rounded. Even after a well performed breast augmentation you will still see some asymmetry. I recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon for in person consultation. Best wishes.

Tuberous Breasts?

+2

Hello Julia,

While I see that your breasts are widely spaced and asymmetrical, they do not appear to be tuberous.  You will get much better shaped breasts with better symmetry with a well performed breast augmentation.  Your surgeon will need to compensate for your asymmetry with the breast augmentation.  Of note, however, that your nipple will remain widely spaced after the breast augmentation unless this is dealt with a procedure to move the nipples more towards the midline.  I recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and explore all your options.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

NO

+2

Your breasts are not tuberous. You have slight asymmetry, but otherwise normal breasts. If you want them bigger, implants will do the trick.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Do I Have Tuberous Breasts?

+2

Based on the posted photos I see NO tuberous deformity. There is an anatomic asymmetry and volume asymmetry noted. Best to obtain in person evaluations from boarded PSs in your city. 

Breast issues

+2

i do not think that you ahve tuberous breasts. I think you have asymmetry that may be improved with implants.

You do not have tubular breasts

+2

You do not meet the specific criteria for tubular breast deformity. You have some beast asymmetry but should do well with a breast augmentation as long as you understand that it will be impossible to create perfect symmetry between your breasts.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Tuberous breasts

+2

Based on your photos, your breast are not tuberous. They look quite normal although you might consider them small. There is a wide variety of normal-looking breasts. Plastic surgery may or may not be applicable depending on what characteristics of the breasts you are looking to change.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Tuberous Breasts?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

No, I do not think that your pictures demonstrate breasts with characteristics seen with tuberous breasts.  On the other hand, the breast asymmetry and wide space between the breasts is clear.

In the event that you are considering breast augmentation surgery,  the advice I commonly give to patients considering this operation may be helpful to you:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “very natural”  or “C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Tuberous Breasts?

+2

There are a number of features that define a tubular breast:
•Wide and puffy areolae
•widely spaced breasts
•high breast fold
•constricted lower pole (deficient tissue in lower half of the breast
•minimal breast tissue
•high breast fold
•narrow base of the breast

Of these, I see only that the breasts are wider apart than normal. I also note asymmetry. 

If you are considering breast enlargement, those factors will be taken into account by your surgeon. The breasts will never be perfectly symmetric, and indeed may look to you to be more different since asymmetry is more noticeable in larger breasts. 

Thank you for your question, and for the attached photos.  Best wishes.

Not tuberous breasts

+2

No, your breasts are not tuberous, they are just small and asymmetrical.  If you want to improve them, a well performed breast augmentation by an experienced plastic surgeon can be very useful.  Good luck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS