Are my small breasts tuberous? Hoping insurance will cover procedure to fix them. (photo)

Does these look like tuberous breasts? I need to know if they really are or not. They look so small. If so, my insurance can cover the procedure to fix them. Thanks.

Tuberous Breasts?

+2

There are a number of features that define a tubular breast:
•Wide and puffy areolae
•widely spaced breasts
•high breast fold
•constricted lower pole (deficient tissue in lower half of the breast
•minimal breast tissue
•high breast fold
•narrow base of the breast

Although the single photo is not enough to make or exclude that diagnosis, I would not be inclined to think that you have this abnormality. I do not recognize any of these findings except for the large areola, which commonly occur in the absence of tubular breasts.

Best bet is to consult with a plastic surgeon. RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Tuberous breasts have small base diameters. You have asymmetry and sagging, but not tuberous breasts.

+2

Tuberous breasts have small base diameters and full areolae.  You have sagging and major asymmetry, but do not fit the description of tuberous breasts.  Even if you had tuberous breasts, insurance coverage would be unlikely because the problem would be considered cosmetic.  You would be well-served with a vertical breast lift and implants.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis not Tuberous

+1

Your breasts are not tuberous however they are ptotic and you will need a breast lift.  Breast lifts are not covered by insurance companies, even if they were tuberous.  There is a new procedure called The Ultimate Breast Lift, which will elevate the breast tissue, reshape your breast tissue to create upper pole fullness and increase cleavage.  This is done using incisions only around the areola, avoiding the ugly vertical scars (lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions).

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Do I Have #TuberousBreasts? (photo) ANS:

+1

It is hard to tell exactly without an exam but it does look like it from the photo....You have very narrow breasts, very dense looking tissue and grade III ptosis...So it seems you have some of the classifications!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast deformity?

+1

Thank you for the photo. It is hard to say from the photo that you posted. In general, if your breast is very narrow, and the tissue is herniating through the areola, then I would say yes. Of course, there are variations to the "theme".

Not Tuberous Breasts

+1

From the picture you submitted, I do not think you have tuberous breasts.  It looks like you have sagging skin and need a breast lift, but this is not a tuberous breast deformity.

Christa Clark, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breast Deformity

+1

Thank you for the question. It is difficult at best to give an accurate opinion with a single picture and no exam. However it does not appear that you have tuberous breast deformity. Typical tuberous breasts will have:

* A constricting ring of tissue at the base of the involved breast

* A decreased distance from the bottom of the areola to the infra-mammary fold (fold under the breast)

* A narrowed breast base

* Herniation of breast tissue into the areola causing a stretching of the areola

The deformity is a spectrum, so women may have some or all of these findings in varying degrees of severity.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

No insurance for tuberous breasts

+1

The angle of the photo amkes it impossible to say for sure but your breasts look more ptotic (droopy) than tuberous to me.  Either way, there are surgeries to improve the look but none will be covered by any insurance. This is because the insurance only covers "medical necessity" and not liking the breasts you have doesn't equal medical necessity.  The only thing the insurance would cover would be if they were very large and heavy and caused symptoms from that.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS