Possible to Get Round Breasts with Implants if Have Tuberous Breasts to Begin With?

I'm planning on a BA, and although I have several consultations scheduled they aren't for a while and I've started to worry that my goals may be unrealistic. I have tuberous breasts- when the nipples aren't erect, the breasts are cone shaped rather than round, there's very little fullness to the lower pole, and the nipples are slightly puffy. I want round breasts- not huge, but round, not pointy, and with the possibility of cleavage in the right bra. Is this too much to ask?

Breast implants can help with tuberous breasts

+3

You appear to be an excellent candidate for breast implants.  In fact,  your photo does not give the appearance of tuberous breasts.  Tuberous breasts are usually constricted at the lower pole and associated with large nipples. They are often present on one side, but can be seen in bilateral situations as well.  In your case, your breasts are a bit narrow, but your are a petit young lady and this is just a variant of normal.  I would recommend silicone gel implants for you as you don't have a lot of your own breast tissue and you will want the most natural feeling implant.  You should get a very nice outcome- good luck!

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

+2

Tuberous breasts tend to be narrow at the base and are overly projecting for their size, and this phenomenon may occur on one or both sides. In its mildest form, the lower pole of the breast is underdeveloped or may even appear constricted - sometimes referred to as a 'constricted lower pole'. In severe cases the breast is conical in shape and is sometimes described by the patient as looking like a 'torpedo' or a 'Snoopy dog'. Regardless of the degree of tuberosity, it is possible to dramatically improve the appearance of the tuberous breast during augmentation surgery using a number of specialized surgical techniques.
Many patients with severely tuberous breasts have said that they have never removed their bra in an intimate setting. Careful patient assessment, thoughtful planning and attention to detail during the surgical procedure can produce a dramatic and life-changing improvement for most patients with tuberous breasts.
Start by looking at many before and after photos of plastic surgeons who have had success in correction of tuberous breasts.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast shape

+2

Tuberous breast shaped breasts have a narrowed width to the breast, as well as a puffy nipple areolar shape.  This would appear to be your breast shape from the picture, although this is hard  to tell about with only one photo.  The shape of the breast would be corrected with a circular incision around the areola as well as  placement of an implant below the muscle or the breast directly.  I have had many patients with this shape, and know that very nice breast shapes are possible.  Good luck.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Tuberous Breast Surgery

+2

Tuberous breasts have a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" and areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).
Generally, the procedure involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.
In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a more complete breast lift may also be necessary.  In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The patient should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that they will need to be patient and that revisionary surgery is more likely than in patients who do not present with tuberous (constricted) breasts.
it is very possible to get nice results beginning with tuberous breasts.. please make sure you see some examples of the surgeon's results so you feel comfortable with your goals.

Tuberour breasts and implants

+2

It is certainly possible to get rounder breasts, but it really depends upon what you are starting out with. A good exam would assist in giving you the correct information.

Breasts with tuberous breast deformity

+2

I would agree with my fellow plastic surgeons below. I would use silicone implannts that match the desired breast diameter and place them in  a dual plane posiiton with radial rexlaxing incicions.

Tuberous and constricted breast deformities can be addressed with augmentation

+2

From your photo I'd say you have a mildly constricted breast shape. You really don't have the hallmarks of a tuberous breast deformity. My recommendation would be using silicone implant in the dual plane position, lowering your infra-mammary fold and opening up the inside of your lower breast pole for expansion. 

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Tubular breasts

+2

I  would not characterize your breasts as particularly tubular based on your one photos. If your breasts are not round and you desire round, then the implant you choose will need to "force" your natural tissues into this shape. This is certainly possible with the appropriate size and shaped implants. You should know that as your implants go outside the natural contour of your native breast tissue, you might incur risks of undesirable side effects or complications such as rippling, asymmetry, and displacement.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast augmentation can be a great solution for tuberous breasts

+2

The approach to correction of tuberous breast deformity is dependent on the extent of the abnormality.  The more narrow the base width of the breasts and compressed the tissue is in the subareolar  area(under the nipple), the more difficult it is to adequately correct this deformity.  As the nipple areola contracts, it rounds the breast and this is generally a good sign that an implant can stretch the tissue from a conical to spherical shape.  In a nulliparous patient (no babies), the elasticity of the skin may be limited and this would restrict the size of the implant that could be used.  Judging from your photos, I would expect you would be a good candidate for breast augmentation.  Seek a consultation from a board certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in tuberous breast deformity and can show previous preop and postop patient photos.

Glen Brooks, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon