Tuberous Breasts Still Not Right 12 Months After BA Surgery, What Are My Options?

Hi, I had my BA surgery 12 months ago. I had incisions made below my natural high creases ( I had tubular breasts). My surgeon said they 'would settle in time'. It's now a year and they STILL haven't settled into their new creases, I still have TWO creases on both breasts. I had 390cc CUI's. They're awful. Please advise :( Thank you

Double bubble deformity

+2

Tuberous breasts are about the toughest starting point for breast augmentation and sometimes the tight crease under the breasts can leave a memory on the lower pole of the breast with a new crease down below the old one.  This is called a double bubble deformity and requires a revision to fix it.  Good luck!

Breast Revision

+1

Tubular breasts are very difficult and you should consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon on this matter.  You may want to consult with 2-3 Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and they will present you with a good list of options.  Then you can make an informed decision.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts 12 Mo. After Breast Aug Surgery, What R My Options? Answer:

+1

I agree with Dr. Beraka. I think you had dense breasts with a bit of droop, not tubular, and a challenge from the start. If you just raise the implants and fix the folds (easier said than done), your nipples will be too low. I think eventually you are looking at some type of breast lift procedure, and probably needed that from the start. Had your implants been placed over the muscle, you would not have the DB you have now. BUT 6 mos. after surgery you would have been larger and even droopier!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast

+1

Correction of tuberous breasts is a difficult undertaking which often requires revision. It would be useful to see your preoperative photos to determine if you did in fact have tuberous breasts. In any case a revision would be reasonable.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Tuberous breasts can be made to look right.

+1

Hi.

1)  I don't think you ever had tuberous breasts.  Tuberous breasts are repaired with an incision around the nipples.

2)  In any case, I am afraid you need a revision. This will not improve on its own. The folds under your breasts need to be reconstructed.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tuberous breast correction

+1

Hi, your infra-mammary fold needs to be adjusted to accomodate your implants.  This is frequently required in surgery on tuberous breasts.  You may also have some tight tissue remaining in the lower pole of your fold which could be corrected at the same time.  I suggest seeing the same or another surgeon in your area who has experience with tuberous breast surgery.  Correction of tuberous breasts is extremely challenging, and it is not unusual for patients to require a minor revision after their initial procedure.  Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Tuberous Breast Revision

+1

It appears that you have a double bubble deformity caused by the implant which is likely subpectoral extending below the breast fold. Tuberous breast are difficult to treat and in your case revision surgery would be indicated. Various options depending on your exam exist. I would urge to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in treating breast implant problems.

Richard Linderman, MD

Tuberous breasts revisionary surgery

+1

Direct examination of your chest wall will be critical to determine how to best revise your breast augmentation procedure. Based on your pictures only, it may be that your implants have settled too much and are sitting  below the inframammary  folds.  The best way to reconstruct the breast may be to use internal sutures (capsulorrhaphy) to reconstruct the inframammary  folds.

It would behoove you to see a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon for  examination in person.

Constricted or Tuberous breast revision

+1

The double lines most visible on your left breast are a consequence of the "tight" lower pole, which defines the tuberous or constricted breast variant.  Dr. Rand's assessment is correct.  You do need a revision but beforehand, define your "ideal" aesthetic outcome, volume, cleavage, nipple position, mobility and projection and then communicate these to your consultant.  You should ask how many tuberous breasts (s)/he has done and review photos. 

Although you didn't include a pre-op photo, I would hazard a guess that your breast skin brassiere was tight, triangular with high inframammary folds.  The CUI implants have stretched the skin brassiere, rounding out the breast mounds, but the distance between the breasts is still quite wide.  In my experience, this would require a breast lift (to migrate the nipples upward and inward), as well as repair of the "double bubble" phenomenon.  You will need to be an excellent communicator and find an experienced surgeon.  Good luck. 

Lavinia Chong, MD